SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

Is this kitchen/breakfast room floor plan ok?

bridget helm
10 years ago

Our lot is narrow, and i insisted on getting our garage tucked away in the back, so we are locked in to this footprint. I made a few changes to the floorplan of our kitchen and breakfast room that you can see in red.
I shaved the peninsula down a foot so that there's more traffic space.

I omitted the wall separating the breakfast room from the kitchen a d chopped off the ends of the bench. You can see this in the squiggly red scratch outs.

Now the breakfast is open to the kitchen AND the peninsula can have 2 or 3 small stools on the breakfast room side in addition to the 2 stools in the Some have commented on peninsulas being "dated", but there won't be any overhead cabinets separating the kitchen from the breakfast room. That to me is what screams dated-- The cabinets that hang from the ceiling with no wall. We won't be doing that. Although I don't mind that in certain homes. Lots of MCMods have them.

Anyway, This layout will allow for 19 feet of upper cabinets including the pantry and 24.5 feet of lowers including the pantry. So I think that's sufficient.

It's about 3 more feet of cabinets than what I have in our house now, and I'm pleased with what I currently have.

We are thinking about possibly putting a SMALL builtin wetbar on the 5 foot wall in between the 2 cased openings to the den. Theres only 4.5 feet between that wall and the peninsula. Yay or nay?? If not there, then I will purchase a piece of furniture/ bar cart to put in the den somewhere.

Oh, the kitchen interior dimensions are about 11 wide by 16 deep. The breakfast area interior is a titch over 8x10

Comments (17)