SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caitlyn_hampton

Any guesses as to how much it costs to add a primary bathroom?

Caitlyn Hampton
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm closing on a rowhome today and excited about planning some remodeling over time. The house was built in 1907 and still has a lot of original charm, but luckily has updated plumbing, electrical, a new roof, and new AC. Basically, I want to renovate the kitchen, move the powder room, update the upstairs hallway bathroom, and probably the work that will require the most Intense remodeling, I want to add a primary bathroom upstairs to connect to the primary bedroom.

Luckily there is plenty of space between the two bedrooms. I plan to take from each closet and take a few feet from the adjacent bedroom which is currently 18 feet long. The challenge is that the old home only has a plumbing stack in the back of the house, so there would need to be some extensive plumbing done in order to connect the new bathroom to the stack. My agent and I had an idea to basically pull the plumbing down and run it across the ceiling on the main floor (the ceiling height is nearly 10 feet) and maybe using "exposed wood beams" or a coffered ceiling to hide the pipes.

Has anyone done work similar to this? How much did you spend? Or does anyone have a guess for the cost or a range? I plan to do fairly high-end finishes because the neighborhood we're in tends to have high-end finishes, especially in the primary bedroom.

I've attached some 3D renderings that are fairly rough I've been playing with, plus the existing floorplan. You can also kind of see some ideas I was playing with for the kitchen and powder room layout

Comments (4)