SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkayetwvz5

Oh No! Here we go again! End of the line for roses in my gardens....

lkayetwvz5
3 years ago

I decided to do two things this year in my gardens in hopes to have roses that actually grow, bloom and live longer than 3 years. This is the third time replanting roses for me in 40 years. I picked a bunch this last time for their good disease resistance but I haven't seen much improvement over the old/antiques or the commons. First I found Bayer 3 in 1 marked way down at Lowes and I decided to try one year of applying this pour on drench combination fungicide/insecticide/fertilizer. I don't like to use either product but my roses are already dying. Spraying is pretty much out of the question because it rains sometimes every day and we have heavy fog every night. Great for all the spot diseases. Then there is the JBs. Enough said. The second thing I wanted to do was prune everything down by at least half in hopes of removing those infected leaves and stems that wouldn't otherwise be pruned off. I have only gotten started pruning and already I see the end is already here. There will be no recovery on most of my roses - I think it is too late for any sprays or drenches. Here are a couple of pictures of what I have found. Some I pruned down to the ground and one I already know will have to be removed as it has a brown crispy interior in the canes all the way to the base.

See the areas of burgandy that have coalesced around the canes completely encircling and then turning tan and killing the cane.

This shows the leopard spots well started. This rose will be dead this year.

Comments (17)