SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
messing4

Z line range hood - more than TWICE the decibels - why so loud?

r m
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We bought a Z-line 36" Wide Wooden Wall Mount Range Hood with Remote Dual Motor [Model: 321GG-RD-36]. We specifically ordered the remote motor so it would be quiet. The four-speed blower was installed in the (insulated) attic, >20 feet away from the stove. There are no 90 degree turns, no sharp turns at all in the 8” ductwork.

Z-line advertises noise levels of 30; 41; 49; & 52 decibels at the four blower speeds (280-460-670-1200 CFM). "The fans in our hoods are designed to be extremely powerful yet silent at the same time. At the highest setting, the decibel level gets no higher than a relaxed conversation between two people"). However, even at the lowest speed it sounds like an aircraft engine during take-off….

Knowing my contractor would say it’s subjective, I downloaded 3 different decibel-measuring software apps for iphone; the three apps are all in agreement that the noise level at the lowest speed is 65-70 dB, standing in front of the stove. No one seems to be able to tell me why it is so loud. It sounds like rushing air noise or turbulence, rather than the motor.

Please, if anyone has a suggestion, we would appreciate it.

My wife has threatened never to cook again…….

Comments (8)