SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kjaven

Need advice about real red brick floors

Katie Janson
3 years ago

Just bought a house with a lot of honey colored cherry cabinets and built ins. The entire entry, dining room, bathroom and kitchen and laundry room are on the entry level and have brick flooring.

There is a sunken kitchen breakfast nook and a sunken living room done in a very nice blonde wood. The stairs are also blond wood and they are right when you enter to the right on the entry level with the brick leading up to them. The upper floors are manufactured blonde wood. The lower floors are good quality real wood.

Bottom line, it’s a lotta honey color and the floors just add to it. The grout is a gritty dark brown with a lot of white that has leeched through here and there. It’s sealed and shiny and the bricks are in good shape. Yet...I hate it. Lol!
I was raised with a brick floor growing up, but our brick was burnished brown and looked calmer. This floor is multi colored, some dark brown, some red, and some orangish.

Question: Any ideas what to do? I live in a rainy area so it’s very practical. Can you get it stripped and regrouted without it costing an arm and a leg? Can you tint brick?

After really thinking about it, I think it’s the sheen, the red/orange color and the grout that bugs me because of the white stuff that has somehow entered the grout. Any suggestions on what to do? I read masons do this kind of work, is that right? Can you tint a brick floor? I think a flat sealing would be better but I’d also like to change the color...

Comments (21)