Crisp little cut cookies which stay crisp? Recipe or hints?

plllog

I've been getting these tiny crunchy cut cookies, each about the size of a quarter, from the virtual farmer's market. They're made by a bakery that makes real things with ingredients lists that read like recipes Flour, butter, eggs, salt, vanilla. No bp/soda. Cocoa powder for the chocolate ones. There were spice or ginger ones which were very similar. They come in a quart jar and stay crisp even in the jar.

I'm happy to keep buying these. They have seasonal shapes, and are very satisfying. A little sweet, a little crunch, a tiny size, and they keep really well. The only problem is they don't always have them.

Do you think if I just bake the ingredients in normal proportions, and maybe a little extra time to make them crunchy that it might come close? I don't think I've ever made a cookie with egg but without baking soda. Is that the secret to the crispness? I make plenty of crisp cookies that soften up if there's humidity, and soften up when enclosed in a container. I figure some of the crunch has to be from a slightly longer bake, to remove moisture, but the vanilla ones have barely any brown on the edges, if any, so that can't be the whole story. I don't know if I'll ever feel compelled to make them, but I really want to know how!

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac92

Sugar
cookies:

1 cup
of butter

2 cups of
sugar

Cream
together and add

2 eggs
beaten with 2 T milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla ( I like a bit more)

Mix with
the butter mix

Add 3 cups
flour mixed with 1/2 tsp salt....and as much as 1/2 cup more flour until it's stiff
enough to roll out

Make flat
patties, wrap and refrigerate for an hour or longer....

Dust board
with flour and roll and cut...

Bake 375
for 8 to 10 minutes....I use parchment on the cookie sheets....if you don't
have parchment....lightly grease the sheets.

The
absence of baking powder keeps them from rising and keeps the cookies true to
the shape of the cutter.....and makes them crisp

Save     Thanked by plllog
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I think you might also really like Trenton Wine Crackers, they are slightly sweet and Aldi's Cookie Thins, good ingredients and tiny and crisp. So good!

Martha Scott

I use this recipe from the Joy of Cooking -- it makes tiny little crisp cookies -- each cookie is just a bite but they stay that way practically forever:https://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_1/2010/DEC/9103.html

agmss15

Probably not related but I made a gingerbread cookie last Christmas from my mom’s ancient Fanny Farmers which requires boiling molasses. I rolled them very thinly. They were lovely. Not too sweet, super crispy.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Transitional Homes Houzz Tour: Crisp and Clean for 3 Generations
Bright and classic style with a modern twist sets a lively vibe for an extended family living under one roof
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Chevron — Is It Here to Stay?
Whether you zig or zag, one of these 20 picks in the pattern is sure to fit your style
Full Story
The Art of Architecture Laser-Cut Focus: The Future of Design Is Here
Discover how this laser technology can make almost any pattern a reality
Full Story
Precision Home Solutions specializes in remodeled bath and kitchens, finished basements/bars. We keep your budget... Read More
Friendly Painting, Inc., is a full service residential & commercial painting and contracting business founded in... Read More