SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patti_yohe

Remove old Mop n Glo from oak floor & marble floor with Oreck Orbiter

Peke (Patti)
3 years ago

The previous owners of our home used Mop n Glow on the white oak tongue in groove floor and on the black marble floor tiles for years and years. I think the wood floor has polyurethane on it, but I am not sure. Both floors are 30-35 years old, so that is a lot of years worth of that horrible Mop n Glow, and I need to remove it. Why would they have used Mop n Glo on marble? Geez! It is crackling in some spots on the marble. The previous owner said she just poured the Mop n Glow on the floor, then damp mopped it in.

RB (Mop n Glow manufacturers) said to contact the original makers of the wood flooring and the marble tile. I have no idea who they were. RB customer service told me to go to my local Home Depot or Lowes and ask the "experts" there for a wood floor stripper. Then, just follow those directions to remove the Mop n Glo. I told her they don't really hire "experts" at those stores. She also said to mix 1/4 cup All Purpose cleaner without bleach and 1 cup of ammonia with a half gallon water and try using that to remove the acrylic buildup on the wood and the marble. I know to not mix ammonia and bleach.

On the marble floor, I know I am not supposed to use acetone or ammonia or peroxide, so I have been scraping it off by hand. It is working, but it is a slow process. I have about 6 tiles scraped so I then used my Oreck Orbiter to clean those tiles with a neutral marble pH cleaner. I kept cleaning until I got a pretty good shine, but it was not matching the shine of the original marble tile. I used Tenax powder for marble on 1 tile, and it helped some. I have decided there is no point in trying for glossy because it would be a constant struggle to keep it shiny. So, I am working for shiny clean, but not glossy. Who puts a soft marble on a bathroom floor, anyway!

1. For the marble floor, when I get it cleaned, do I need to put a sealer on it or anything else? I want to only use a damp mop and my Orbiter to buff it.

2. For the wood floor, does anyone have a suggestion for how to remove the Mop n Glow? I don't want to use stripper unless I have to. I know steam mops are bad for wood, and that normal damp mopping for water is best for cleaning/maintenance.

I have the Oreck white polishing pad, the stone polishing pad, the stone brush, the carpet brush, buffing bonnets, and lambs wool bonnets, but I can buy other pads if needed. Some Oreck videos say to use the white pad and green pad, but I have seen blue and red pads for sale too. I know the brown pads are too coarse.

I also tried using 5 diamond polishing pads on the marble to remove a scratch, but it quickly gummed up the pad with the acrylic Mop n Glo. The scratch is gone, but 1 pad per tile is going to be expensive so I started scraping the acrylic off.

No pros where I live even though they may say they are pros. Been there...done that with "pro" contractors in our rural area. I know the first answer will be to hire a pro, but it is what it is. I have spent several months trying to get a plumber back out to reinstall my replacement tub that a plumber broke.

Any advice? Thanks!

Comments (19)