SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dancingqueen7827

shower floor grout not drying...need advice

dancingqueen7827
4 years ago

We just finished a shower remodel 7 days ago. We replaced our old jacuzzi tub/shower combo with a stand up shower. The problem we are having is that the floor grout does not dry fully after 24 hours. The grout feels dry to the touch but does not look dry.

Background...the fixture accent wall is tiled in marble. The side walls and floor are tiled in ceramic. The walls are grouted with what I believe is sanded grout because I can see brown specs of something in it. The floor grout is pewter and doesn’t have brown specs in it. I was told the marble wall was sealed but nothing else was as the grout already had sealer in it and didn’t need to be sealed.

After our very first shower I noticed a 12”x12” dark spot on the shower floor where it appeared the grout was not drying (up against the marble wall and slightly to the left of the fixtures). Every shower since, the wet looking spot has grown systematically wider and longer towards the drain. The attached photos are after letting the shower dry for 24 hours.

Besides looking unsightly, I worry that moisture is getting trapped under the floor tile and will result in mold. What could be causing this and how should it be fixed? My contractor is coming by to look later this week and I want to be prepared before he comes.

Comments (40)