SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

What brand and kind of grout for floor and shower tile? Thinset?

Peke
3 years ago

Unplanned budget item since some of my marble floor was damaged moving the plumbing. NOT the plumber's fault at all! I needed a tile ASAP, and had no time to wait on a better quality tile, so we bought it from Lowe's. All bought from the same lot. Since I am laying it myself, I need some advice. I know porcelain is more difficult to cut than ceramic. I have mostly installed and cut ceramic tile. I installed one porcelain tile in a laundry room.

I will either remove the old marble and build the floor up with concrete backerboard, then add new tile, My bathroom has a 1"-1.5" step down from the hall.

Or

I will put concrete backerboard (??) on top of the old marble tile, then add new floor tile in my bathrooms.

Here is the tile (all of the same lot.)

I will use 12" x 24" tile vertically in the shower. This picture shows 12"x12" tile also.

Lowe's doesn't have the small subway tile in the picture below, but I could probably find a mosaic that would work.

Website says:

Glazed Porcelain for floor, countertop, backsplash, shower walls, fireplaces, etc.

Fully submersible

Stain resistant

No sealer required

Looks like Carrara marble

Matte finish - Dynamic Coefficient of Friction (DCOF) > 0.42

Edge type - pressed

Install with thinset mortar

Recommended 1/3 staggered, not 50/50

Recommended 3/16" or 1/1" grout lines

I know to watch for lots, and to mix the tiles from boxes and dryfit to make sure of the colors.

Now, for my questions about tiling the floor:

1. If I use concrete backerboard, does anything go under the backerboard? Or on top of the backerboard? I have never used concrete backerboard before. How does it get attached to the floor? Does anything need to be done to the seams?

2. I know that I will use a wet saw for most cuts. What kind of blade will I need?

3. How do I make curved cuts for the round toilet flange? Half the reviews say this is a hard tile to cut because it shatters or cracks. Half say it was easy to cut. I have never cut tiles for a toilet before.

4. What kind and brand of grout should I use?

5. Recommended thinset? Should I backbutter each tile also?

Thanks. The tub was set today and the 33" tall pony wall was built. I will add bracing for the shower doors and grab bars. I wish I could afford for someone else to tile my floor.....

Comments (4)