SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_parker5340361

1958 ranch kitchen remodel help

Jennifer Parker
3 years ago

Hi,

We purchased a 1958 ranch whose kitchen had been remodeled in the early 1990s. Since buying in 2010, we’ve renovated the bathroom and renovated the garage to turn it into a master bedroom suite. Now I am looking to do something with my tiny kitchen. The kitchen is off the mud room and has a partial/partition wall to the dining room. There is 29” between the entry door and wall on one side. The kitchen itself is a tiny U that is around 9’ by 8’. The dining room is equally small. I am thinking of removing the door between the mud room and kitchen, tearing down the wall between dining and kitchen and reconfiguring to more of a u-shape on the bigger wall and a row of tall cabinets on the other wall. we’d need to also move a baseboard vent. I think we’d also need to move the door opening a little so that instead of 29”, we can get around 35”. Thoughts?

below are some pictures of what it is today and a render of what I think it could be. I’m not sure if it’s better to have the range on the narrow wall or have the range where the fridge is today. I was also thinking of putting the fridge next to the tall pantry on the narrow wall for a better work triangle.

Comments (20)