SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam1962

What do you normally eat for breakfast?

Tina Marie
3 years ago

I generally don't eat till around 11:00 am. I eat "brunch" which is usually breakfast type food, but sometimes lunch type food. I then eat dinner in the evenings and usually have a "pick me up" around 3-4. When it was colder my snack was a cup of (sugar-free) hot chocolate but now I am into apples.

My favorite breakfast is eggs and toast. Since we are cutting back on the "white stuff", I'm trying to not eat that as often, even though I eat WW toast. Today it was oatmeal with peaches, pecans and a bit of coconut added. Some days it might be yogurt with granola. What do you like?

Comments (52)

• bpath
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Also boring. Half a whole grain English muffin with butter and either cheese, cottage cheese, or peanut butter and jelly (okay, not jelly but some kind of fruit spread).

Alternatively, a mix of regular and multigrain Cheerios, sliced banana, and skim milk.

Coffee with 2%.

Yawn. So boring I may as well go back to bed.

Tina Marie thanked bpath
  • LynnNM
    3 years ago

- Bob’s Red Mill 10 Grain Hot Cereal

- Irish Oatmeal

- my kind-of-healthful homemade scones (maple-walnut, lemon, blueberry or cranberry-orange)

- avocado (on Ezekiel bread) toast and homemade smoothies

- my Huevos Rancheros on black beans instead of tortillas

- Morning Star faux bacon and eggs

- scrambled Eggbeaters topped with a dollop of fat-free cream cheese, fresh arugula or baby spinach, chopped green onions and tomatoes

- Almond meal & fresh blueberry pancakes

- Apple Oatmeal pancakes

- my cranberry-orange coffeecake, made with almond flour and almond meal. And fresh cranberries.

- homemade, healthful Everything Bagels that I’m still working on perfecting (LOL)!

- Costco’s Aussie Bites

Costco's (frozen) mini egg white frittatas, cooked in my microwave and topped with salsa

- Greek Vanilla Yogurt with fresh fruit and a sprinkle of flaxseed meal or a smoothie made with Greek yogurt with pretty much every breakfast. And ALWAYs several cups of coffee!!!!

Tina Marie thanked LynnNM
  • Related Discussions

what do you eat for breakfast?

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm not going to lie though, I been really bad lately! Just had a reuben sandwich.. the other day had like five big burgers at mcdonalds, i swear that stuff does not fill me up, maybe it has to do with it being deficient of minerals or whatever.. But, i ate five burgers, was starving, so I ate some cereal, as soon as I ate the cereal, I was instantly full and content. The cereal, like most, is enriched with vitamins and minerals. That's most likely what my body was craving. I normally use Himalayan pink salt religiously at home, on top of that, the wild herbs i forage for, and the fruit and vegetables i eat most likely has adequate nutrients. However, the mcdonalds probably didn't have the minerals my body was really craving.. It's interesting what you can learn by just observing yourself, no other person can be more in tune with your body than yourself. No doctor truly knows what you are feeling, you, we, have to start being our own doctor.
    ...See More

Do You Live to Eat or Eat to Live???????

Q

Comments (70)
    Cupcake Shows. . . I LOVE that term, and had never heard it before, but it fits so perfectly, although I had heard about a show called something like: "Cupcake Wars", or something like that. Contestants try to outdo each other, making the best cupcakes. I don't care much for Barefoot Contessa, or Pioneer Woman, but Paula just sends shivers up my spine. I don't know what it is about her. I love her hair and her eyes. She is just so 'secksy', (to 'this old man'). But she makes me want to puke with her CONSTANT "ya'lls". I mean 'every other word'!!!! Does anyone think that maybe she is told to do that? Anywhooo, if I had a portrait of Paula Dean, it would be up on my bedroom wall, (pant, pant). Forgive me for getting off topic. And now . . . back to our regularly scheduled programming.
    ...See More

Do You Always Eat the Same Thing For Breakfast?

Q

Comments (16)
    Six days a week DH and I have one of five different cold cereals with fruit (bananas, strawberries, blueberries, etc.) and 1% milk, coffee w/half&half, toast or English muffins w/butter (or coffee cake/muffin). Sundays we have thick sliced bacon, fried or scrambled eggs, coffee cake or muffins, coffee. In winter I often have oatmeal w/raisins + dates instead of cold cereal. My standby cold cereal is mini-wheats. WE LIKE BREAKFAST! (BTW, neither of us is overweight: 115 lbs for me; 185 for him.) My grandmother had the same breakfast every day: Shredded wheat w/milk, a soft boiled egg on buttered toast, a pot of tea with sugar. She lived into her nineties.
    ...See More

Why Don't You Eat Breakfast?

Q

Comments (23)
    In anyone's world, Deeby, both regular and diet sodas can have a negative effect on your health. My comment stands, the decision is obviously yours. Check these links and the medical studies that are cited: 10 Reasons to give up Diet Soda http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20739512,00.html?xid=Fox-dietsoda-060214 7 Side Effects of Drinking Diet Soda http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/diet-soda-bad-you Good luck
    ...See More
  • DLM2000-GW
    3 years ago

I've eaten the same thing for breakfast pretty much every day, literally for decades. I make a big batch of Amish buttermilk raisin Bran muffins every 6 weeks, one of those with a cup of coffee is breakfast. I altered the original recipe from Marsha Adams a bit - less sugar, organic bran cereal, white and wheat flour, more allspice because I love that heady scent. Depending on my mood a piece of seasonal fruit might be added but more often than not that waits till later in the day.

Tina Marie thanked DLM2000-GW
  • User
    3 years ago

I make my breakfast the night before and stick it in the fridge: 1/2 cup of rolled oats (sometimes a little more), a cut-up banana, and about 1/2 cup of almond milk. The oats soak up the almond milk overnight, and then I heat it for a minute in the microwave in the morning. It's pretty tasty, easy, and keeps me full til lunch.

Tina Marie thanked User
  • just_terrilynn
    3 years ago

I normally eat whatever was left over from dinner. Sometimes I reheat it and sometimes I just eat the leftovers cold. I almost always have two cups of strong tea.

Tina Marie thanked just_terrilynn
  • Oakley
    3 years ago

Yogurt every day for breakfast, sometimes cerea or oatmeal. I've been doing this new thing so I can have protein at breakfast and during the day. Once a week I cook a batch of Lil' Smokies and put them in the fridge. I eat a couple or three with yogurt, and an afternoon snack. Keeps me away from carbs and they're oh so good. :)

Tina Marie thanked Oakley
  • l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I'm a late breakfast/brunch person too. First thing in the AM I have something small and sweet with a cup of coffee with half and half, and my thyroid medication. I tried just drinking plain tea, which I LOVE and is better for my diet, but it made me have acid reflux, sigh. For whatever reason, I seem to be able to tolerate the lower acid coffees that we get.

Oatmeal is my standard. I do the old fashioned. I should really do the steel cut, and they are more healthy, but just haven't gotten into that habit . . . it's easy even though they are long cooking, if you make up a bunch in advance and then reheat.

I too am trying to cut down on refined carbs and also dairy. And meat but that's me, I don't even like meat that much and eating a lot doesn't agree with me. This Sunday I made a tofu scramble/stir fry seasoned with curry, using up any leftover veggie bits I had. It looked great but I didn't do well with the sauce/seasoning. It was both too hot and too sweet. But I'm going to work on that one. It's ideal and can be tweaked in innumerable ways, including using eggs and sausage. Great way to eat something yummy and low carb . . .

Tina Marie thanked l pinkmountain
  • aok27502
    3 years ago

Either oatmeal with blueberries, almond and flax seed. Or something toasted with avocado or peanut butter or cream cheese. I wake up hungry and am usually eating within an hour.

Tina Marie thanked aok27502
  • Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ipink, I never have liked breakfast soon after getting up. After I retired, I kind of quit breakfast and was doing an earlier lunch. When I realized I was pretty much doing intermittent fasting already, I became more intentional about it. Sundays that usually goes out the window and I cook breakfast (since we are streaming church at home) and sometimes it is even a treat (two weeks ago cinnamon rolls). But for the most part I eat around 11:00 am and make sure I don't eat after 7:00 pm. I don't do caffeine but I like flavored coffee (sugar free creamer) which I have with my 11:00 meal.

@LynnNM I haven't tried the turkey bacon - but we eat (and like) turkey sausage. So much healthier than the real thing. I'm just not sure I can do "fake" bacon though.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Just coffee — I have no appetite until lunch. I’ve always been that way.

BUT ... if I could have Lynn’s Huevos Rancheros every morning, I think I could start eating breakfast! 😁

I do love traditional breakfast foods, though, so will sometimes have them for other meals.

Tina Marie thanked Jilly
  • LynnNM
    3 years ago

I agree, Tina, turkey bacon is delicious and much more healthful than pork bacon. We eat it, too, along with turkey sausage . . . or faux meat sausage.

Tina Marie thanked LynnNM
  • 4kids4us
    3 years ago

I typically don’t eat until late morning (around 11am, sometimes later) either so depending on the time or my mood, it is either a breakfast food or a lunch type food.

I am more of a savory person. My go to for a breakfast type of meal is what I call a scrambled egg hash. I saute whatever diced veggies I have on hand, which is usually some combination of red onion, red pepper, raw spinach, zucchini, mushroom, grape tomatoes. Once they are nearly cooked through, I add one whisked whole egg and one or two egg whites and just cook, stirring it as needed, until the eggs are cooked to my desired level of scrambled. I sometimes add in a teaspoon of feta cheese toward the end to add some flavor. My other go to, when I’m not watching carbs, is avocado toast - slice of hearty bread, a smear of 1/2 an avocado, sprinkle of Everything But the Bagel seasoning, and sometimes, a scrambled egg on top (I don’t care for fried eggs).

Sometimes, esp in the summer when berries are nice and fresh here, I will have plain Greek yogurt, berries and a tsp of honey.

Tina Marie thanked 4kids4us
  • eld6161
    3 years ago

Almost everyday I have a half cup cottage cheese, (1%) one apple diced, sprinkle of cinnamon.

If my weight is on track, I then add a few praline pecans and some raisins.

Sometimes I microwave the apple for 20 seconds before assembling.

Today though, DH wanted an omelette with bacon so....for myself, I had one scrambled eggs and 4 pieces of bacon.

If I am ambitious, I do scrambled egg whites, avocado, sun dried tomatoes, fresh cherry tomatoes warmed, and cooked spinach either fresh or frozen.

Tina Marie thanked eld6161
  • aprilneverends
    3 years ago

I get up pretty early and I need my coffee. I always drink mine with half and half and a spoon or two of sugar. That's usually my dessert, because I've several diets to adhere to. I eat a (gluten free) toast with it, sometimes two. They are sometimes plain, but more often I put on them cheese, different kind, whatever we have that day, or sometimes avocado.

I used to be much more inventive.

I made oatmeal-two kinds of it- a "salty" one, with almonds, olive oil and a bit of salt, and a "sweet" one-with raisins, walnuts, etc. I had eggs, etc

Still eat eggs, in various forms, but 6 in the morning is a bit too early for eggs, and the rest, can't really have anymore, and I don't like plain oartmeal, or actually, plain anything. I always want to mix something in.

Exceptions: when we're on vacations, but then it's much later breakfast

Tina Marie thanked aprilneverends
  • Ded tired
    3 years ago

I bow down to all of you who can get creative in the kitchen in the morning. I can barely stand upright. I have the same thing nearly every day. Barbara’s Morning Oat Crunch cereal with milk and about one third cup of fresh blueberries. Two cups of black coffee. I could not even look at a lot of food in the morning, but I make up for it during the day, unfortunately.

Tina Marie thanked Ded tired
  • l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I usually have a very light "snack" with coffee before work, something like a muffin or granola bar, and then another more substantial snack at my morning break which is sometime between 10 and 11. That one has protein like yogurt, piece of cheese and nuts, cottage cheese, half a sandwich, etc.

• Funkyart
    3 years ago

I wake up early-- and have only coffee with half and half for the first handful of hours.

I break my fast with either breakfast or lunch foods between 11am-2pm depending on what's going on with work. My preference is steel cut oats with a dab of butter and some combination of blueberries, strawberries and/or nuts. I may add brown sugar depending on my mood. I use the overnight process to make steel cut oats (NOT the overnight oats) that can be reheated which makes it easier to pull together quickly.

Other things I've enjoyed lately.. tuna fish salad with crackers or celery/carrot sticks, open face cheese on tortilla (heated in oven), peanut butter toast or apples with peanut butter.

Tina Marie thanked Funkyart
  • pricklypearcactus
    3 years ago

Most days it's oatmeal with fresh berries and a bit of cottage cheese or Greek yogurt on the side for some extra protein. In peach season, I swap the berries for peaches. In a pinch if I'm out of fresh fruit, I'll use raisins and add some cinnamon in as well.

Tina Marie thanked pricklypearcactus
  • runninginplace
    3 years ago

Another boring breakfast eater here-same thing every day.

Glass of OJ, 1/4 cup instant oatmeal made with water and spiked with a little skim milk and Stevia. A mug of coffee made with a good slug of half n half, that I warm up then froth; the coffee is also sweetened with Stevia.

Have been making and eating that every day for 20+ years and never get tired of the combination. A couple of years ago I varied the oatmeal every few weeks with a fried egg/piece of bacon/wheat toast n jelly treat day but I don't bother any more.

Tina Marie thanked runninginplace
  • 3katz4me
    3 years ago

Always 2-3 cups of black coffee. Along with that, lately it's been Swissli muesli with skim milk and a glass of orange juice. Once in a while I'll have toast instead - with peanut butter or fruit flavored honey. In the summer usually multigrain cheerios with skim milk and blueberries or strawberries. Sometimes it's lunchtime and I realize I didn't eat breakfast so I move right into lunch.

Sometimes in the summer I just have a container of some kind of non-fat fruity greek yogurt and maybe a glass of juice. I feel like I have to eat something before I play golf but I'm not hungry that early.

Tina Marie thanked 3katz4me
  • texanjana
    3 years ago

I normally eat either eggs with avocado and salsa, plain yogurt with walnuts and blueberries or oatmeal plus two cups of coffee with skim milk.

I rarely eat bacon, but when I do I eat the real thing. I think that turkey bacon is actually more unhealthy than pork bacon.

Tina Marie thanked texanjana
  • Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Marlene wins! Sorry, I have no prize LOL!!

Seriously, the thought of a fresh croissant sounds heavenly! Trader Joe's is a good way from me (in the big city), but I am going to look up the Trader Joe's cinnamon swirl coffee cake! Croissants and coffee cake! Exactly what I do not need with our healthy eating plan. I should have never posted this thread as you can see how susceptible I am - last week because of a post, I wanted a beignet so bad! Now it's coffee cake.

• Marlene Oliver
    3 years ago

Tina, I got the name wrong. There is no swirl in it. Of course, that means less calories 🤥

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Marlene Oliver you are not helping!!!

• cawaps
    3 years ago

Yogurt, berries (usually, sometimes apples or applesauce or raisins), and nuts (walnuts or almonds). Virtually every day for decades (I sometimes get into the mood for a breakfast pastry, or have something with eggs when I eat breakfast out).

Tina Marie thanked cawaps
  • lascatx
    3 years ago

I am surprised how many people eat the same thing or same few things every day. Our morning choices are nearly as varied as our later day choices. Anything from coffee alone to oatmeal (cooked with almond milk) or cold cereal or yogurt to poached eggs, scrambled eggs or omelettes, sourdough waffles to a fresh baked coffee cake, scones, cinnamon rolls, croissants or bostock. Breads are usually homemade. We also do a bacon and egg or BLT and egg sandwich or a slice of toast (plain, fruited bread, homemade jam, PBJ, PB/banana, cheese, ham and cheese. More of the simple and less of the involved or splurges, but we like to do them all.

Tina Marie thanked lascatx
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Marlene ... is that ... could it be .... is it..... is that picture from where I am thinking?!

• Marlene Oliver
    3 years ago

Sadly, no mtn. It is St. Honore Bakery. However, here is our fav, Ken’s Arisan.

If Ken’s were as close to me as St. Honore, which is very good, I’d have to live on a Peloton 🤭😉. Keep Ken’s in mind when planning the group road trip.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Ahh, looks TDF! Lucky you, such a great city.

• just_terrilynn
    3 years ago

I want brunch at Lascatx house.

And Marlene has somehow made me yearn for another stay in Nice.

• Oakley
    3 years ago

For those of you who go all out for breakfast i/r/t fixing something that takes time and makes a mess first thing in the morning, I have to ask why?

I'm like Ded, I have to drink coffee before I can even talk to anyone. Ask DH. :)

• LynnNM
    3 years ago

Because I love breakfast time and I love breakfast foods. DH and I are both morning people. Mornings are my happy time and we always eat breakfast together. Always have. Now lunches on the other hand, are stressors for me. I’d love to eat lunch out somewhere every day. I definitely don’t have the same creativity for lunches!

• yeonassky
    3 years ago

Eggs, vegetables, dates and figs.

To drink I usually have half and half water grape and or orange with lemon juice in the morning.

Tina Marie thanked yeonassky
  • lascatx
    3 years ago

I cook and bake because I enjoy it -- and I enjoying eating a variety of good things as well as making things that I imagine and then make happen (ever had raspberry or strawberry cinnamon rolls?). When I make bostock, I have enough to share or to freeze and we can have it again and again. Like Lynn says -- it make mornings a happy time and starts the day right. I'd be bored out of my gourd if I ate the same thing every day. I don't make waffles or cinnamon rolls everyday, but if I'm going to do the carbs and calories, they'd better be worth it. When I make them, I know they will be. I can also have whatever I have a hankering for.

Oh -- we have an espresso maker and I usually have a cappuccino or coffee and DH has his espresso. That is fairly constant. Our usual coffee is named Jet Fuel. Guess it works. LOL

Tina Marie thanked lascatx
  • runninginplace
    3 years ago

Lascatx, speaking only for myself while I"m not insensate when I first wake up, I'm also not a sparky morning person inclined to jump right into prepping, making and cleaning up anything that takes extra effort. For me the comfort and ease factor of a routine breakfast is best.

Then too I've always been an eat to live person so I simply don't care that much about what I'm having. It's fuel, especially at 6:30 am :)

Tina Marie thanked runninginplace
  • Springroz
    3 years ago

If I eat carbs in the morning, I am hungry ALL day. It took me years to figure this out, LOL. I eat scrambled eggs and a couple of carrots or 1/2 an avocado, then dinner around 5. I always leave 5 hours in between meals to give my pancreas time to rest. It helps keep my insulin resistance at bay.

Tina Marie thanked Springroz
  • Sister Sunnie
    3 years ago

Lots of hot tea with lemon and sugar and two pieces of multigrain toast. Soon as I wake.

Tina Marie thanked Sister Sunnie
  • aprilneverends
    3 years ago

I am a sparkly morning person, actually)) I love breakfasts.

I just can't have 9/10 of things you mentioned. Some, I couldn't have for years, and some, crept on me in the last decade.

No cakes, muffins, roills, jam, honey, nuts, fruits, dried fruits, bananas or dates, yogurt etc etc etc..I love them, I just can't have them

Instead of feeling all miserable(and often I do, it's not that I'm so optimistic and enlghtened all the time..just not about food ), I eagerly await my morning coffee with toast, and I really enjoy drinking it:)

Tina Marie thanked aprilneverends
  • Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

April, you must be my husband's long-lost sister! LOL He is up early, ready to talk, he might sing, whistle, etc. While I am not grouchy in the mornings, I like to ease into the day. I rarely have caffeine, so coffee has no effect on me. I just like to take my time. But I am with you, I love breakfast, I just don't want it till I've been up a few hours. We each get breakfast and lunch on our own, although sometimes if I'm eating breakfast late enough, my husband will have lunch then. Although I do have a few certain things on rotation for breakfast, I like variety (for all meals) and usually one day of the weekend will cook breakfast and it may or not be some type of treat! (Like that Trader Joe coffee cake calling my name LOL)

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I have also struggled with all the variations of breakfast issues and what to eat. I have to take my thyroid medication on an empty stomach and wait 30 min. before eating. Luckily, I am one of those people like Ded, I have no appetite and don't even want to move until I have had my coffee. So I take my thyroid medication with a cup of coffee, and then wait at least 30 min. before eating actual breakfast. But I hate black coffee and also coffee with cream. But oddly, a bunch of sugar doesn't help either. So in lieu of that, I have a small sweet, like a granola bar, small muffin, biscotti, cookie, sweet roll, etc. But a small one, just enough to wash down the coffee. Kind of European, the "continental" type of breakfast. Then later, I'll have the protein to tide me over until a late lunch.

• Sueb20
    3 years ago

As long as I have coffee, I don’t care what else I have for breakfast. This is inside the cabinet door closest to the coffee maker.

Focusing on protein these days, so I made a frittata the other day and have been having some each morning. Yum.

Tina Marie thanked Sueb20
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

I have no imagination for breakfast. I take my thyroid meds and wait an hour.

Then I make a latte and a piece of Dave’s bread (the small loaf) with butter and more jam than necessary. Occasionally I try the hard boiled egg route, but I don’t like the taste with coffee. And sometimes I’ll just have a banana with my coffee, but I always gravitate back to a piece of toast.

When I was younger, breakfast upset my stomach. As I got older, I don’t feel well if I don’t eat something. Perhaps it’s because I started drinking coffee in my 30’s. Who knows.

Now I want a piece of toast!🤣

Tina Marie thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Oakley
    3 years ago

I love making breakfast on weekends but not every morning.

Spanish, I didn't start eating breakfast until 10 or so years ago when I started getting hunger pains earlier in the morning. But I can't eat while drinking coffee, it makes me feel uncomfortably full.

Lately I've been eating a couple of slices of cinnamon swirl toast, the kind that comes in a loaf. Yum. But I snack on healthy foods throughout the day except the doctor told me to lay off the grapes. I can eat a lot of those at once.

Grapes and cheese, best snack for the afternoon!

• User
    3 years ago

I run first thing every morning and have no time for breakfast until I reach my office, and then certainly not the luxury of a leisurely meal. Having an "eat the same thing" routine is vital for me, and by now I know exactly the foods and amount that will keep me well fueled until lunch. There's no right or wrong way to do breakfast. I used to not have it at all, and managed to function fine without it, but the morning run does make me hungry these days.

Tina Marie thanked User
  • bpath
    3 years ago

Sueb, that’s a good inclusion for your “unusual art placement“ thread. And cute tape!

• amykath
    3 years ago

I have coffee with some cream. So, I guess I have cream for breakfast. Usually by noon or 1:00 I am starving and will eat some eggs or granola. Even then, I have no appetite and have to force myself to eat. However by late evening my appetite returns full force and I want to eat the house! So strange.

Tina Marie thanked amykath
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Days I have barre or yoga in the a.m. it's plain nonfat greek yogurt into which I stir either vanilla, cocoa powder or cinnamon, and a banana. Other days it's an egg with veggies...sometimes fried onions, peppers and mushrooms...sometimes fried spinach with nutmeg. If I'm generous to myself, I add a tiny square of a cinnamon tea cake I make.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I had my favorite this morning, eggs and toast. Even though I am using whole grain bread, I am happy to say I have cut back on my favorite breakfast. I think today is the first time this week I've had it. I've also noticed since we have cut back on bread, we have cut back on butter LOL. Slow but sure, I guess every little change helps!

• lascatx
    3 years ago

Sueb20 -- I could probably say the same -- the espresso maker gets going first thing every day, though if there is a reason, tea will do. So if the question were how do you break your fast or what's the first thing you have in the morning, I would say half a glass of juice and coffee 98% of the time. But what I eat -- that's all over the place.

Runninginplace, I'm not being critical -- I certainly don't do a big breakfast daily -- most days we do something like most folks here -- but I don't do the same thing all the time. I'm sure part of it is that I'm pretty seasonal -- I can't do yogurt in winter, but I enjoy it in spring and summer. And I enjoy baking -- ever since my Easy Bake Oven, but I know most people don't.