SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
queenmom3661

Flooring Choices: did I make a design mistake 2 years ago?

Neonzeus
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I purchased a fixer upper in Ohio a few years ago. This is my retirement home, but I want to keep resale value in mind. There is a huge entry, that opens up to an office, the dining room, the kitchen and the hall to the living room at the back of the house & the master bedroom. (The kitchen also opens up into the living room). There's a 2nd hall to a powder room and laundry room. The living room adjoins an all-season sunroom. The master bedroom has french doors to the sunroom too.

The house originally had large white tiles in the entry, dining room, powder room and halls, lineoleum in the kitchen & laundry, and rugs everywhere else. When redoing the kitchen/laundry/powder rooms, I installed new neutral ceramic tiles. The tiled entry and the other tiled floors were replaced with nailed, solid oak hardwood. I just replaced the carpet in the living room, sunroom, office, and the 1st floor master. I'm satisfied with having carpet in the master bedroom & office.

Should I have carried the hardwood into the living room and sunroom? My hardwood hall & entry are squeaky and bouncing, and the contractor's remedy has been to just show up with a nail gun every few months. I'm tempted to just pull up the newish hardwood and start all over (including putting down a new subfloor). I'm wondering if I made a huge design & resale blooper and should have carried the wood flooring into the living room and sunroom too? I've also wondered if it might be possible to blend the existing 1-2 year old hardwood into the living room and sunroom, or if I'd have to tear everything out and start over. I had used a stock hardwood flooring product that is still for sale. Thanks in advance for input.

Comments (2)