SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
athleticannie

Not loving my choice of tile & window framing: What would you do??

athleticannie
3 years ago

So we are FOURTEEN MONTHS into our kitchen remodel and had to get a lawyer involved to deal with many errors made by our KD. Because of a problem behind the cooktop, we have to remove about 12' sq of the tile. Due to the crappy job they did cutting and laying the tile, we also need to have several other pieces removed.

Since we have to tear out a bunch of the tile, I have been looking at my backsplash choice and realize I don't really love it. I really do gravitate toward tone-on-tone styles, but I have been living with this for about 11 months and I am not thrilled. So if I am going to make a change, now is the time. Or maybe I would like it if the windows were framed out and there would be crown molding. I don't know!!

I am open to different textures, finishes, and substances. While we don't have a hood design yet, we are going to have a carpenter make something in one of these shapes using some natural materials (but not as much wood shown in the first image.)

The unfinished look of the windows is driving me a bit crazy too. I may frame the windows to match our doorways which use a simple craftsman design. (We would probably just use the 4" pieces and eliminate the smaller pieces to make it easier to place tile.)

Also, the unfinished edge at the ceiling kind of bothers me. I think crown molding might look nice.

So can you give me some inspiration and photos of what you think would look good for:

1. backsplash

2. window framing

3. the wall-ceiling connection

BTW, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this water jet tile but it is way out of my budget:

Comments (21)