SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aleia_k

Who do I hire??

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi everyone - We are a young couple, in contract for our first home. I'd like to start researching professionals on potential work but I'm not sure if it's an architect or contractor (and maybe interior designer for other items) that I should be looking for.

Here's a list of a few things we'd like to complete:

Master

• The bathroom needs a new layout and things moved around like the tub and shower. The space is there but it needs to be rearranged. I also want to add a large new window (currently there is an existing tiny window) to add tons of light in the bath.
  • There is a small master closet on the other side of the bath, I'd like to build it out for us to have a his and her closet, but the entry doorway would be in the way. Or maybe another plac in the room to create the closet. We need help to lay this out too.

Kitchen

• Open out the wall between the kitchen and dining room, to create an open concept into the dining and living room. Create a new layout for the kitchen, add a sliding doors or the folding pocket doors leading to the yard and possibly a large corner window. Do we add a standard EIK table or make it a nook - things like the too.
  • Move the small laundry closet adjacent to the kitchen, move to the second floor in the guest bath, but somehow add a folding table
  • Replace the small laundry closet with a pantry. But add a small mudroom somewhere on the main floor

I believe we need help on how to layout things and exploring possibilities, would a contractor or a architect be more suitable? This is an existing home, not a new build.

Correct me if I am wrong, picking out tile color schemes - is that an interior designer?

Out of the contractor, architect and interior designer, would any of them help you figuring out things like ideas where to add moldings, i.e coffered ceilings? I personally like to do a lot of research ahead of time, plan accordingly and be ready. I don't want to be rushed while we are in the middle of renovations and once it's completed we are not saying " I wish this was added".

Thanks in advance!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    3 years ago

Figure out your budget and share that with a reputable general contractor. No sense in designing something that can't be built.

• PRO
    3 years ago

The budget is key. And, make certain that your contractor has an experienced kitchen designer.

• 3 years ago

Thanks we have our budget down, but is it worth it to seek out an architecture to design to layout with our budget or a contractor can help with that in the bathroom and kitchen?

• 3 years ago

FYI: I believe the word you are looking for is ‘architect.’

• 3 years ago

I think if you find a contractor you like, he will have an architect that he uses as needed and will also have recommendations on designers. Or if you start with a kitchen/bath designer, they often partner with contractors. Choose several of each in your area and meet with each one of them to discuss your project.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Do you have the 150K cash, in savings, already as allotted for this? Because you certainly will have no equity in a newly purchased home to tap into!

You need an experienced GC to do a paid consult with you and force you to establish priorities, and give you a non HGTV fantasy wake up.

• 3 years ago

Architect first.

• 3 years ago

Get referrals from trusted neighbors, family, friends, co-workers, accountant, etc. Don't take the first bid. Don't take bid based only on price - there are other considerations, such as quality and customer service.

• 3 years ago

@Aleia K

I agree with @Elaine Doremus Resumes Written Get referrals. Ask friends on FB, Nextdoor, or search google reviews. How did you buy the place? Did you use a realtor? Sometimes they can recommend GCs that can help you get started. We started with a GC on our last renovation. Between dream and reality we were able to renovate and now have a home we love. It is wise that you are planning ahead, searching options, understanding the process and learning all you can.

Enjoy your new home.

• PRO
    3 years ago

"Architect first."

Jean:

Clearly you haven't spent much time here. Houzz is replete with people who toddled off to their architect with dreams in one hand and checkbook in the other. The architect drew their dreams, but their checks could never clear.

An experienced GC can tell you if your budget is realistic in a phone call. He wants this information as badly as you do, believe me. Your architect, not so much.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Look at good design/build firms in your area; they are equipped to deal with your needs. Most have a designer on staff to guide you through the process.

• 3 years ago

Also look at Google reviews.

• 3 years ago

Well, actually, I have spent quite a bit of time here. Since about 2005...old gardenweb days...different account name...did several kitchens and houses since then. Learned a lot of invaluable things. We remodeled our own house 2 years ago and went through 2 architects before we found one that could draw up what we wanted that was doable ** within ** our budget. We live in a custom home community (all homes custom built). Most of the folks who are unhappy with their finished builds in the neighborhood are the ones who have gone with one of the local design build firms. The primary reason appears to be that the architect is not independent of the firm. Our architect, although he recommended the builder to us, was completely independent of the builders firm and several times came onsite and mediated between us and the builder.

• 3 years ago

+1 Architect

Below is our experience. YMMV...

This is our second time using an architect. The first was for our previous 1917 home. We wanted to renovate the kitchen and add a powder room. We started off with design-build, but found them to be very cookie cutter. They wanted to add the “box” to an already large space and have the powder room open directly into the kitchen. We were presented with a design we felt didn’t work (we had lived in the house a few years already), but were told we would love it once it was done. We disagreed and started looking elsewhere. It was an architect who came up with the design to create a butler type pantry separating the kitchen from the powder room as well as utilizing an area (where the previous owners had removed the back staircase) to create a mud room.

We have since moved to an even older home and are once again using an architect — this time for a larger multi phase project.

Different architects, but each time we have enjoyed the process (even over Zoom). Before committing to plans, we have collaborative sessions with the architect. They take out their yellow tracing paper and scale ruler to draw out ideas so we can quickly run through a number of iterations. The architect can then easily sketch an elevation or detail so we can quickly see if it works. Nothing is designed in a vacuum. While there is certainly an additional cost from using an architect, they add value in a myriad of ways. We definitely don’t have an unlimited budget, but have found that employing an architect saves us from making expensive mistakes.

As for an architect being out of touch with regards to pricing, we haven’t found that to be the case. A hands on architect is talking to contractors and seeing the bids coming back on their plans. Communication is key. Be clear about your budget.

• 3 years ago

We're just finishing a most-of-the-house reno and addition. I don't think there's a single pathway that is best for everyone. I talked to some design-build firms when we were first considering what to do. I liked several of them, but it felt like a major leap to sign on to the whole build based on a couple of conversations and not much hard detail on costs. We wound up using an architect who had designed a neighbor's reno. The architect helped us find our contractor and has worked closely with them as issues have arisen - and also helped make the decisions on the nitty gritty details like molding and window and door styles.

The one caveat I'd give is that no one could give us reliable estimates until we had construction documents. We got a lot of ballpark figures, but none of them were on target with the bids we eventually received. So don't count on any numbers you might hear unless they are based on a very clear scope of work.

• 3 years ago

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback. For those that mention hdtv budget, its not necessarily the fact we are looking to go above and beyond. Instead we are happy with the rooms, but want to try and optimize the best layout for each space.

Overall and taking everyone's advice into consideration, I went ahead and contacted several architects to have a better understanding of their rates, budget and their scope of work. I also started to research GC's as well, once we find a GC we like and the extent of services we can decide if we need an architect.