SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
afhaskell

Please help make our porch great again!?!!

Built in 1957 by my husband’s grandfather this porch is a special place for me and my family!

However, recently I’ve been noticing many repairs that need to be done. There are many obvious repairs such as the cracks, rust and cosmetic things that need to be done. And eventually I’ll get to the fun design aspect, but for now I’m focusing on the more important repairs! Only problem is I haven’t a clue where or how to start so that’s why I’m turning to the Houzz community! Please help!!!!

Here’s a list of the main repair issues I’m looking for advice on:

1.Who do I hire for this project?
Do I hire a general contractor to overlook the porch project?
Are there professionals who specialize in restorin g older porches/ and who would have a better understanding and prioritize from most important repairs to the ones we could fix in the future?

2. Who do I hire to find out if the original building materials used to build the porch are potentially hazardous?
Lead ( we know under many of the newer layers of paint lays the original lead)
Vermiculite insulation in concrete block walls often contains asbestos. ( the entire house and porch is made of concrete blocks)
Cottage cheese ceiling on inner roof of porch asbestos?
Rotting/possibly moldy wood support beams holding tin porch roof
Tin/metal roof unsure of the sealant/ finish used and if it’s hazardous, any guesses from the pictures below what it might be?

3. Cracks and possible foundation issues throughout porch floor and along porch wall connected to main home and interior windows .
Husband sealed some along base of porch walls but is this more than a DIY project ?

4. Black windows/ centipedes / earwigs/ have all been spotted on a regular basis invading our porch.
Will regular pest control professionals do the trick or is there someone more suitable for the job?
Already hired pest control for extior backyard and front can we kill all insects with one pro?

5. Awesome skylight on interior roof of porch support frame seems rotted
The frame seems to be situated under our actual house roof not the porch ceiling or roof, can we restore the frame without replacing it or the roof?

Underneath the vast amount of work that needs to be done lays a beautiful porch with a million dollar view and sentimental value for our family. Please any advice and or words of wisdom on restoring and repairing this porch would be great!

Thanks looking forward to hearing some feedback!

Comment (1)