SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinepullman139

Help me make this awkward great room great

Go easy on me here. I know this room doesn’t look good as it is but that’s why I’m here asking for help. This room is our family room (see pics). It serves as a hangout space for family movie nights, as well as music jam sessions. The home is a rental so we are limited with what we can do to make it better but I think there’s still a lot of room for improvement. My issues with the room are:
-Long and narrow. Layout feels awkward sometimes. Have considered reorienting the room but I can’t put the tv over the fireplace and I’m not sure if I like it in the corner (though I’m open to your ideas).
- Don’t know how to fill the wall space (especially the tv wall). Seems like the three walls all compete with each other. Maybe that’s ok???
-Once you’re in the room it feels ok but the entry from the French doors is awkward. I think the sectional is too big?....and the tv wall too....meh.
- I’d like to change the color scheme. French doors lead to the kitchen/dining area, which is SW Mindful Gray. The landlord is fine with us painting. I’d like colors that make the room feel cozier with a rustic/eclectic feel. The room begs to feel dramatic but we are currently missing the mark. I can go dark or bold. I just don’t want to go lighter than Mindful Gray. I can paint the mantle but I am NOT able to paint the fireplace, wood work, or the brick. - Little natural light (just two small windows on the west wall flanking the fireplace, and the French doors to the patio - note: there is a second set of French doors on the same wall leading to the kitchen) and no overhead lighting other than the fireplace. Need to work with floorlamps.
- The pictures and ugly curtains on the patio doors will go. I’m open to changing the seating and eventually we will get a bigger tv but it’s not in the budget for now. The guitar wall stays and we are keeping the teak cabinet teak that is currently under the guitars (though it can be moved). Everything else is open to being replaced, removed or repurposed.

Last note, we originally had the ottoman by the sofa and a chair in the corner but it felt crowded and the chair (not shown) felt frumpy. You will see in another pic that we moved the ottoman to the corner and got a coffee table. We like stools and benches worked in because they are great for music sessions but again, totally open to your suggestions. Also, in one pic there is a lot of clutter. That’s unusual. It’s there because we had to move some things when we were painting another room.

Ok.... I welcome your thoughts on how I can improve this room. I’m especially interested in paint color recommendations. I originally thought more neutral and Twilight Gray and mega Greige were both recommended, with maybe Gauntlet gray on the fireplace wall. Now I think I might want something with more impact. Let me know what you think. Thank you!!!

Comments (33)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler