SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Any New Help for Restless Leg Syndrome?

chisue
3 years ago

My search turned up nothing since 2018, where some people were helped by early meds for Parkinson's (Levodopa?). Posts said it was becoming difficult to find because there were newer, bettter meds for Parkinson's.

Google landed me with a very long commercial spiel for something called Seratame (brand name). It's a supplemental (thus unregulated) containing Lactobacillus Plantaarum #299, Magnesium Malate, Turmeric, and D3 + K2. The manufacturer says all this is necessary to get adequate Iron INTO the brain. (Having adequate iron in blood serum means nothing, according to her.)

DH has had RL all his life, but only at night over the past few years. (He is 82.) It disappeared while he was treated for anxiety with a combination of Duloxetine 20 MG and Aripiprizole 1MG.

Today, Aripiprizole is linked to diskinesia (involuntary movement) of jaw, hands, feet similar to having Tourette's. A new doctor eliminated DH's Aripiprizole and upped the Duloxetine to 30 MG. By his third night off the Aripiprizole, RLS reappeared and has continued nightly. This has happened in three previous attempts to get off the Aripiprozole. The previous MD had indicated that the sole reason for the Duloxetine was because it supported the use of the Aripiprizole.

Now we have two questions: 1) What will relieve the RLS? 2) Does DH really need *any* Duloxetine, let alone *more*? (Duloxetine is an anti-anxiety med; there are many others.)

Has anyone had any help with RLS by consulting a neurologist?

BTW: The 'soap cure' for RLS has been tried without success.

I have a bottle of Tonic Water in the fridge; someone said to try 8 oz. at bedtime. (I know quinine has been prescribed to help with leg cramps, so we'll try this.)

Comments (34)