“Who doesn't love brown sugar?” [flavor]
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (25)
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
Variety for someone who doesn't like tomatoes?
Comments (22)By now you have surely planted your garden but.... If you want a different flavor, you've got to try Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Old German or Bradywine. Arkansas Travelers are easy to grow, medium size and wonderful flavor. Homegrown tomatoes are not "mealy" nor do they have "gel", not if they are ripe. I refuse to eat tomatoes from the time I get the last one off the vine (usually Thanksgiving week) until I get my first ripe one (unless I find a locally grown one, first!). The easiest to care for tomato I've ever grown is Green Zebra, they taste great, are small in size, beautiful yellow and green color. They rarely split from too much rain, either. Since you are growing them for others to eat, you could really WOW them with an Old German or Cherokee Purple. All of these I mentioned,(besides the AR Traveler) have beautiful unique colors, that you don't find in the grocery store, (orange and purples) and smokey flavors. Beware though, one of my Old German's last year was over 14 feet tall!...See MoreAm I the only one who doesn't make a lot of goodies
Comments (24)I have pared down my baking significantly as far as cookies and treats go. When the kids were home I made tins and trays of cookies for bus drivers, teachers' lounges, older folks in our neighborhood who no longer baked for themselves, etc.. My group of 6 close women friends looked so forward to them because they didn't bake. Then the kids grew up and moved, we moved from the old neighborhood and all my women friends started South Beach, WW, or Sugar Busters diets and I didn't want to undermine their efforts. A couple years ago when my Mom was diagnosed w/ breast cancer (her 2nd time) right after T-Giving I was overwhelmed w/ her care over the holidays and just didn't do the baking that year. The world did not come to an end, and I discovered that I could choose to keep the tradition - or not. These days I bake when I choose to, when I have guests and when asked to bring dessert to a gathering. Like someone above noted, it's not like in years past when people really seemed to treasure the homemade baked gift. The cost in time and ingredients seems greater than in the past. I'm delighted to bake for those I know enjoy it, but I don't dole out the homemade treats the way I used to....See MoreBrown sugar shortbread recipe
Comments (11)Here is the recipe I have used successfully for years. It is simple and versatile (Martha's original recipe suggests adding to each third, such as shaved chocolate, candied orange peel, ginger, etc.) Shortbread from Martha Stewart 1997 1 pound unsalted butter 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed 1 tsp salt 5 cups all-purpose flour Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Prepare three 8" cake pans by lining bottom with parchment paper. Cream together butter and brown sugar; beat two minutes at high speed. Add salt and flour, mixing after each cup added. When dough is well mixed and holds together, remove from mixing bowl and divide into thirds. Place each third of dough mixture into an 8" cake pan lines with parchment paper. With dull edge of table knife, score cookie into quarters (do not cut deep into dough), then score each quarter into three wedges. Prick design in with fork or wooden skewer. Bake in preheated oven at 275 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, until just slightly colored around the edges. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Separate cookie from pan by carefully running a table knife around edge. Place plate or cooling rack over pan and carefully turn over to remove cookie from pan, then turn cookie right side up to finish cooling. Cool completely before storing. Wrap well in plastic wrap or cellophane or store in tin. Best if stored at least one week before serving, flavor continues to improve over two or three weeks. Note: Shortbread freezes well....See MoreWho doesn't have a backsplash?
Comments (22)Buehl, when someone posted a link to "encaustic tile" search results for images.google.com I saw a tile that made me think of your kitchen Its pattern = 2 shades close of your cabinet stain with a black accent I didn't think you'd go for it because it was really busy as all those are, but I'd love to see it in your kitchen :-). To jgopp / the OP: My opinion = - Kitchens look half naked without a backsplash - With one, even a simple one, they look so much more interesting - I really dislike 4" high backsplashes. One exception I saw on Houzz - A kitchen with no upper cabinets, a very quiet granite or maybe quartz, simple cabinets, and one layer of one of a beautiful encaustic tiles along the granite with a pattern that was of course loud but that flowed with everything else in the room....See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
Related Stories

EDIBLE GARDENSWhy Grow Quince? For Beauty, Fragrance and Old-Time Flavor
Delightfully perfumed fruit and lovely spring blossoms make this apple and pear cousin worth a spot in the garden
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESHerb Garden Essentials: Versatile Cilantro Adds Flavor to Herb Gardens
Love it or hate it, this cool-season herb contributes its unique flavor to any number or the world’s cuisines
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNA Contemporary Kitchen With French Cafe Flavor
Interior designer Tom Long gets creative with materials to build a custom kitchen with a dash of old-school French charm
Full Story
HERBSDry Your Herbs and Enjoy the Flavor of Summer All Year
Make fall and winter meals even better by preserving your backyard herb harvest now. Here’s your step-by-step guide
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDCool-Season Vegetables: How to Grow Beets
Give canned versions of this fall and spring garden favorite the heave-ho and discover its true flavor and colors
Full Story
PURPLEColor Guide: How to Work With Lavender
Ever fresh, lavender comes in many flavors for the home: sophisticated neutral, cool accent and, yes, perennial nursery favorite
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDIf You Have Room for Only One Summer Crop ...
Get an edible that’s long on flavor even if you’re short on space, with a long-time gardener’s favorite picks
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSHerb Garden Essentials: Grow Your Own Tasty, Frilly Dill
Flavor your food and attract butterflies with easy-care (and pretty) dill in the garden
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENS10 Delicious Heirloom Tomatoes to Grow This Summer
Irresistible heirlooms offer outstanding flavor and variety. Choose from a rainbow of colors in all shapes and sizes
Full Story
KITCHEN COUNTERTOPS7 Low-Maintenance Countertops for Your Dream Kitchen
Fingerprints, stains, resealing requirements ... who needs ’em? These countertop materials look great with little effort
Full Story

annie1992