SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lov2garden

Help with kitten who doesn't like scratchers!

lov2garden
15 years ago

Our new kitten is 14 weeks old and only wants to claw the vertical surfaces of upolstered furniture. We have a wonderful sisal scratching post that our old cat loved. The kitten has no interest in using it. She will only give it a few swipes if I use it first and give her praise and a treat. I've tried the cardboard vertical and inclined scratchers and she won't use them at all. Rubbing catnip on the sisal has no effect. She does not claw carpet so I don't see much point to getting a carpeted post.

I tried laying a plastic dropcloth over the chair she scratches the most and it stops her but then I don't enjoy sitting on it either! A spray water bottle is making a difference but I can't always be there to squirt her. I'm also nipping the points off the tips of her nails now.

I know she needs to scratch, I just don't know what else to give her that we will both like. Is the sisal too hard for her little paws & claws? If I made a quilted cloth slipcover for the post, would she use it instead of my furniture? How do you use Feliway? Would it work to spray the scratching post with it? I read that you should spray the furniture with it but somehow that doesn't make sense to me. My old cat would cheek mark the same places all of the time. Will a cat not scratch the same place that they cheek mark?

The kitten has been with me for almost a month but she is really damaging the furniture. The furniture is only 5 months old but it's starting to look tattered. Sorry for all of the questions but I want to do what is right for both of us. Thanks.

Comments (16)