SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

brown sugar, sugar and molassas

marys1000
13 years ago

I spent a little time reading on these because I (1) as a single and intermittment baker I have trouble with brown sugar and (2) I would see molasses in the store and wonder at all the different types.

Somewhere along the line I came to realize that brown sugar is white sugar with molasses, which made me wonder - why keep brown sugar around at all? Why not make your own?

And from reading wiki it certainly seems like it should be an easy thing to do. On the Molasses page it sounds like molasses keeps for a very long time (much longer than brown sugar, and yes I know you can resoften but it never works entirely well if its got really hard lumps).

So....next store run I'm going to buy some unsulphered molasses (not blackstrap) to keep on hand next time I'm either out or have brown sugar gravel.

Since they use castor or superfine sugar for brown sugar (smaller crystals that what is "normal" sugar) I'll whiz some sugar to make finer and add some molasses.

I think my biggest issue will be the mix thoroughly part and wondering if it will actually seem like store bought

Anyone done this and find it doesn't work like it seems it would?

I'm also a little confused by the below - if its a couple of teaspoons or table spoons per cup or "substituting molasses for an equal portion of white sugar" that's not registering for me.

From wiki:

Brown sugar can be made at home by mixing white granulated sugar with molasses, using one tablespoon of molasses for every cup of white sugar (one-sixteenth or 6.25% of the total volume). Thorough blending will yield dark brown sugar; for light brown sugar, between one and two teaspoons of molasses per cup should be used instead. It is, however, simpler to substitute molasses for an equal portion of white sugar while cooking, without mixing them separately.

Here is a link that might be useful: wiki brown sugar

Comments (7)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio