SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Anyone regularly attend an online book or discussion group?

l pinkmountain
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I've always wanted to attend some type of discussion group but haven't had much luck. I tried to find a writer's group once, I found one at a local bookstore but I had a hard time making the meetings and then the group disbanded and the bookstore closed . . . later I joined a group called "Green Drinks" which was interesting but I would not say fun. The event was at a bar which didn't have very good food or atmosphere, IMHO, so that part was expensive with little value to me, and then they had speakers, which were OK and then supposedly conversation before and after, but I never clicked with anyone . . . and I never really got inspired to do anything more "green" than I was already doing. I guess I was looking for more support and friendship outside of the bar . . . the best fun I had was at the local Garden Club meetings, but you had to do a lot of fundraisers and community work, which I understood but it was too much for me, like having a second job . . . I have friend who does book clubs, but I'm more interested in discussing and then acting on the discussions . . .

I'm trying to decide if there is a possibility I could organize such a thing. A good friend of mine half way across the country said we should have a virtual happy hour to discuss some of our mutual professional concerns . . . when I used to go to conferences in my younger days, I was notorious for just sitting around brainstorming and "networking" at some point, instead of going to the informational workshops . . . later our professional group decided to do a retreat where that was all that was on the agenda. That was fun . . .

I guess I'm unsure whether anyone would want to do something like that. I used to go to working group meetings at the colleges where I worked, like our educational technology group, and a group of us who supervised students had a monthly meeting to discuss maximizing our use of the students but also their positive benefits from working for us . . . very clear immediate value for us, so I think it would only be a plus for my friends if they saw it filling a need, and I guess I'm feeling like few have such a need . . .

What do you think, do any of you feel a distinct lack of inspiration personally and professionally and would something like this benefit you? I'm an extrovert, so maybe it's just me . . .

Comments (15)