SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

DIY Cottage Cheese

bbstx
3 years ago

I need cottage cheese for a recipe. I don’t want to go to the store. I just did a pick up and I don’t have enough on my list to hit the minimum for curbside pick-up. So, I looked up DIY Cottage Cheese. Alton Brown had a recipe. The reviews varied widely. There is a Master Class recipe for Cottage Cheese too. It is basically the same as Alton Brown’s except AB says heat the milk to 120 degrees F and Master Class says 180 degrees F. What temperature should I bring the milk to?

Also, AB is silent on the level of pasteurization; just says “pasteurized.” MC recipe says “not ultra-pasteurized“ which mine is. Will that screw up the recipe?

One more variable. Our milk is lactose-free. Will that impact the making of cottage cheese?

At this point, should I just look for a recipe that doesn’t require cottage cheese?

(This vaguely reminds me of a review I read last week. I wish I could remember the dish. It was something that was meat-centric. One reviewer said that she doesn’t eat meat so she left it out but added x, y, and z. She went on to say that the recipe wasn’t very good. Of course, it wasn’t. 🤦🏻‍♀️ )

Comments (9)