SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Shortbread cookies that can retain a stamp or texture?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My usual Scottish shortbread recipe, which makes a bar cookie, is delicious, but I want to stamp some to sent to my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter.

Mine calls for 5 cups of flour, and makes one large jellyroll pan full, with cookies about 3/4" thick. I know it's very hard to work that last cup of flour in.

If I reduce the flour, will that work? I've noticed that other similar recipes use up to one cup flour less. Thanks.

EDIT: when posting, at first I couldn't find my original recipe. But here it is now. I got it years ago - pre-internet -while attending an English garden opening at a local botanic garden. So I figured it was authentic.

1 lb unsalted butter, room temperature.

1 cup sugar

5 cups unbleached flour

Heat oven to 325 F. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour. Knead by hand until it comes together. Press dough evenly into a 10 x 15" jelly roll pan. Score halfway down through dough into desired sizes. Pierce each piece with a fork. Bake until crisp and golden, about 45 to 60 minutes. When done, cut again through to the bottom, while still warm.

Comments (13)