SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Overthinking a decorative element that few would probably even have ..

User
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

But I'd sure like some ideas / suggestions to help spark my own lagging creativity!

We have space above our kitchen cabinets, with the kitchen being open to the dining and living spaces. I'm fully aware that the consensus among most is NOT to have any decor atop the cabinets, but I want something there. To that end, we have hung the "national park" trail sign, which was custom made for us and has special meaning. (What do hiking and the kitchen have in common? Not much, except seeing that sign evokes fond feelings whenever we do, and to my way of thinking, that's all the reason we need for hanging something up.)

You'll note that there's some decorative items on the opposite side. That is now all gone, thanks to a kitten who will not stay out of any of it. I tried to leave the large African bolga basket, and it was knocked on its side every morning. Clearly, Butters was napping inside it. ::sigh::

I'm not moving the trail sign -- obviously, we are attached to it and enjoy it in that location. With the items removed from the other side, however, it looks weird. Unbalanced. Ideally, I'd find something to hang in that space that's now bare, but that "something" needs to be large-ish, longish, and able to be hung in such a way where a cat cannot budge it. I was thinking of another sign (there are some cute ones on Etsy), but not sure that's the best option. I would adore a long, vintage metal sign, but I don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on something like that, and besides, they're not that easy to find -- at least not where I live.

I know it's a longshot, but does anyone have any ideas? (And please suggest leaving it bare up there and moving the trail sign elsewhere. Thanks for understanding my rigidness in that regard!)

Comments (57)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES