SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tara_smith8595

Need help with furniture placement

Tara Smith
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I’m really struggling. I came upon this heirloom

piece of furniture that I just love, but having it really affected the furniture placement of the entire room. Actually, this room was always funky. The skylights and the light were not centered. I presume this is because it was a bedroom before we converted it to a den. We are about to repaint and I will be adding accent tables and artwork, but before I do anything, I’m looking for some feedback. As you can see, the couch is not centered between the windows as it previously was and the light and skylights are not centered. Does the couch have to be centered? When I add artwork, is there a way to balance it? Any help is appreciated!

Comments (31)

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

It would be helpful to see the heirloom piece (an armoire?), the other two walls, and a floor plan showing measurements of all doorways and windows. Hand drawn is fine.

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

One thing I have to say is either your curtain rods are too short or they need extended further. Your curtains need released from their bondage. ; )

• Related Discussions

Need help with furniture placement!

Q

Comments (2)
    “Safety first when hanging mirror and pictures.” Yes, yes, yes! In the blink of an eye, your baby will be sitting up and crawling and squirming all over the place during diaper changes. And trying to grab and pull on whatever’s on the wall near the changing pad. I have a picture over my changing area, but with acrylic instead of glass, and stuck into place with lots of those command picture hangers. With my first-born, I started with lovely color-coordinated accent pictures at first but before long I literally resorted to a rotating supply of colorful pictures on plain paper, printed on my home printer, just to keep my baby distracted with something new to look at during diaper changes. Just the two cents of someone who, twice now, started with grand plans of a lovely pinteresty nursery but then found that practicality always won out.
    ...See More

need help with furniture placement in my awkward shaped bedroom!

Q

Comments (3)
    Have you tried the bed on the facing wall? (I always like to see the headboard when walking into a room.) Wouldn't the vanity make sense in front of the window to take advantage of daylight? (Or does it have too large a mirror above it?) Then you can place the dresser on the diagonal wall and the Vittsjo shelves and standing mirror near the door. If the standing mirror just doesn't work anywhere, consider selling it and using a wall-mounted one on your entry or closet door. Alternatively, with the bed on the opposite wall, you could place the dresser where the bed is now (at the foot of the bed, iow) and the vanity where the dresser is now. Do you really need the glass shelves in the bedroom? Could they go anywhere else in your place? The unit won't look strange by itself if you consider the whole wall as a vignette and place art on it accordingly.
    ...See More

Need help with furniture placement

Q

Comments (24)
    These are all so amazing!! I really like how you added the office space especially with a family member now working from home & needs that space till they get the go ahead to return to the office.
    ...See More

I NEED HELP WITH FURNITURE PLACEMENT

Q

Comments (19)
    Like this new arrangement! Can you use your white, open shelf unit that’s by entry door for a TV stand & put the smaller white piece with drawer (s) to left of bed -opposite side of closet wall - to use as night stand? Looks like you could use a desk chair with wheels for computer desk. That soccer banner would look great hanging on a wall instead of off the curtain rod. 😉
    ...See More
  • Tara Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you For your comments. I will upload more pics. On the curtains, my kids fool with them every day, so I think they were messed up. Also, the windows are really close to the end wall which is why the curtain rod isn‘t entirely extended. I will definitely give them another look to see if we can extend them. The height of the curtains has always annoyed me. They are 80 inches but don’t brush to ground. Unfortunately, I realized this after I made a sizable investment.

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

I’m not either sure what the heirloom is. I will commend you on the wainscoting. Love!! Great choice. I agree the curtains are short. Would have loved to see the rod higher and the curtains longer. I guess if and when you can replace just to consider that. I think just plain white will compliment the space better. The other thing that I think would make a big difference is a light fixture....
    Ok and now for the question you actually asked -
    Furniture placement.
    I think the current set up is fine. However, the couches should not be against the wall. Pull them away a bit. Is this room used mostly for tv watching? Would it be impractical to move the couches to face each other. I’d then maybe get a chaise or bench for the other side. Or maybe another matching chair to the one you have.
    Would you consider skip covers over the couches? I think that would add a nice light touch. Some pillows.... really overall this space looks very decently planned out. Nice finishes. Well kept. It has potential to be even greater. But, start with what you can.

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

Newly painted walls will give you a new perspective in here. What color(s) are you planning? Greenish grays look nice with mahogany which is what I think your armoire might be. You might benefit from a larger rug, too. What are the dimensions of the room? Love all the windows.

• Tara Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you both for your wonderful suggestions. Here are more images. Sorry that they

are a little dark.

• Tara Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also to answer some questions..

this is primarily used by my kids. I am not a tv person really, so I’m not in this room often. Maybe I avoid it because I‘m not buying into it?? I am considering either a very light olive color or possibly a pale gold. I am open to suggestions. The rest of my house is grey in varying shades. I kind of like having a pop of color because it doesn’t look like the rest of my house anyway. It is an addition That sits off a long and skinny sitting space. I will take a picture so you can see what i mean.

so, it doesn’t bother either of you that the couch is not centered between the two windows? It used to be and while this current setup is comfortable to me, im questioning it. Is it a design no-no?

• Tara Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Tara Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Tara Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am replacing a rug in the room leading up to it which is why there was none. I was thinking the rug should play off the color of the addition/den.

• golfer32
    3 years ago

Here are a few thoughts, keeping in mind that we do not have dimensions of the room or the heirloom piece. Can you move the armoire to the wall behind the sofa and push everything down toward the TV? It looks like you have the space to do that but not sure if that will be too close for viewing or interfere with the entry into the room. OR, can you flip the chair and sofa that currently faces the armoire and pull everything down? The chair being off-denter on the window won't look as off-centered bec it's a smaller piece. Truthfully, I don't think the way it is arranged now is horrible but you might want to give your heirloom piece more visibility by moving it to a wall where it can be seen upon entry. It's a lovely piece. Beautiful room!!! What color are you painting?

Tara Smith thanked golfer32
  • bluemarble
    3 years ago

My mouth literally dropped open when I saw the armoire. Stunning. Wow. Then I thought exactly what golfer said...it needs to be seen. Will it fit between the windows? Would your family be upset if you faced the two couches toward each other as previously suggested?

I didn't comment on things being not centered with respect to windows and light fixtures, because I was hoping the new photos would show that more clearly. You know, like straight on? It's hard to tell how "bad" it is. I understand your feeling on that, though.

LOVE everything about the room with the fireplace. What is the name of the wall color? Agree you want something to work with that.

Tara Smith thanked bluemarble
  • Tara Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, I did have the "wall unit" on the wall behind the couch because it fits there best, but it just wasn't working. With that setup I had the couches centered and facing one another in front of it. The problem is, the hall prevents me from moving one of the couches as close to the tv as I need to go. I don't know why. I just wasn't feeling it set up like that. Also, I fear if I ask my husband to move it again he may murder me. It's solid mahogany. It was actually given to me on the condition that we just move it. Boy, that sounded easier than it actually was. I fell in love it with, but not so much in my room. I misjudged (AGAIN) because it's a bit too large for the space. But even so... not going to make anyone move it now. It's here to stay for a few years at least. I resigned myself to the fact that I have to live with it and set up the room the best I can which is where all of you wonderful people come in. I am sort of getting used to the couch/chair not centered on the wall, but the lighting is all messed up of center as is the skylight placement. I'm not sure what I can do to correct the lighting other than replace it with recessed and sporadically place them. I'm sure recessed is not a good design move, but I am at a loss for what I can do there. I will take some time tonight and sketch out the room dimensions because I need to solve this puzzle. For the wall color, I am thinking something less bold in terms of color. Maybe with a green or yellow hue? But - I am totally open to suggestions. I plan on adding 3 large landscape prints to the open wall and getting a new coffee table set with accent tables that will sit between each furniture piece. Also, I want to get a slim console for under the TV that pulls in the mahogany. Lots of work ahead I know, but I appreciate the guidance.

• golfer32
    3 years ago

Since this room is mainly for your kids maybe you want to paint a "fun" color? And you said you like a pop of color. I see a boy in one of the photos you posted - do you have any girls? That info might help with color choice, in addition to considering the existing furniture and rug, which I assume are staying. Do they have any input into the color of the room? The couches are gray?

• Tara Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry .. you both are fast responders and I am out of sync with my answers here. I have a boy and girl. I don't think my son really pays attention to anything but screens these days, so he wouldn't care about color :0. My daughter is resistant to change, but expressed openness to yellow/gold (tasteful, not harsh). My couches are a green/grey. Some people swear they are grey, but I know they are green - one of those colors. I think they are pretty versatile. They have brass tacks, so I thought that might work well with the gold wall. They are older and will probably be replaced in the next few years, but they are so dang comfortable and in good condition. I'd rather replace the curtains first!

• Tara Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Were you thinking like a lighter beige? I am not sure what would complement the wainscoting. It's a pretty solid cream. Like a light mocha?

• golfer32
    3 years ago

Take a look at Ben Moore colors JUTE (AF-80) and MUSLIN (OC-12) or starters. Let us know if you like these and how they work with your couches and curtains and if there is enough contrast for you with the wainscoting.

• Tara Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LOVE Jute. I will give post updates this weekend! Thank you so much for your help!

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

Totally get that you don't want to ask someone to move the armoire again LOL. It really is beautiful, so we can all admire it right where it is.

Wall color...do you know the names of the colors used in the fireplace room and for the wainscoting? I'm skeptical of anything yellow as well. Your armoire and floors would look pretty with blues and greens. Looks like your rug has those colors as well.

Lighting...I don't think there's anything wrong with recessed lighting. You could also add picture lighting over the planned artwork. Having light at various levels is a good idea anyway.

• Tara Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@bluemarble, I will get you the names of the paint. I just have to dig them out of our basement. I will be grabbing them to do touch ups anyway. So, @golfer32 had suggested BM Jute which I think would look nice. I actually did a quick and dirty conversion to the color in photoshop to see if there is enough contrast. It's subtle but I like it. What do ya'll think? Just kind of threw any artwork up on the wall to see the placement. Thoughts?

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

You might consider making some sample boards of a few colors. I like your mock-up as it appears more green, but it doesn't look like Jute...

You could also paint everything the same color to complement the armoire. ; )

May we see close-ups of the curtains and couch? The curtains might be olive? The couches look brown on my monitor. I hate to sound critical, but there seems like too many colors. Do you like the blue color in the rug?

• Tara Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You don't sound critical at all! I appreciate the feedback. I will take pictures of the curtains in the daylight tomorrow. The couch and the curtains are pretty good match - they are definitely a deep grey, olivey color. That said, they are pretty neutral. I hear you on the rug. I used to have lamps behind my couch with a robin blue color shade and it tied it all together. Although I do love the feel of that rug, I can repurpose it in a bedroom. Are you thinking something more jute color or one color for the rug?

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

No, I was actually wondering if you like the blue color in the rug, and if so, how does it look with the armoire? The only reason I would suggest replacing the rug is that it feels a little small.

Is the trim in the fireplace room white vs creamy in this room? Which do you prefer with mahogany? I think white is more modern, so depends on what you want. Am I placing too much importance on the armoire? Idk, it's just the biggest thing in the room and not going anywhere any time soon!

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

I like the jute color a lot better. If you don’t go that route would you consider a wallpaper on the upper half? Did I suggest that already lol.

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

I’m so sorry, HU. I’m not trying to be contrary. I‘m just thinking out loud. All these thoughts running through my head....Too many colors. Blue in the rug needs to be considered. Jute might clash with the yellow tone in the wainscoting, but I could be totally wrong on this. Colors need to complement armoire. Lighting might be casting a yellow glow on everything. Two shades of green (curtains & furniture), two shades of red (armoire & floor), cream lower wall, jute upper wall, blue rug, etc.

I vote for dealing with lighting first. Then I would paint the walls (upper and lower) the same color as the trim in the fireplace room and let the windows, armoire and art be the stars. Rug will not have to compete with all other colors in the room.

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

@bluemark. Please do not apologize love hearing more opinions and having convos about our thoughts. I totally agree that there are a lot of colors. That’s why I was thinking a wallpaper instead of another paint color. Something that has the colors in the room already. I’d do something similar to the rug. More pattern than color. Maybe I’m totally spazz and soo off lol

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

Totally spazz LOL. I wouldn't say spazz, but maybe just the opposite of what I was thinking with "let's paint it all white" haha. Maybe a lighter version of the olive green in the fireplace room if it works with the rug? It could even have a slight blue hue that works with the rug and the olive green.

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

The armoire is gorgeous. Can you repaint the oranges walls to something lighter? Alabaster SW would look so good with your floors, furniture

Tara Smith thanked Kathy Furt
  • Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

Accessible beige would be beautiful

Tara Smith thanked Kathy Furt
  • Susan Davis
    3 years ago

I love your room and the large armoire and what you are doing.....good luck. really enjoying following along with your ideas.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County