SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandiatl

How to properly plug skirt board?

NoviceDIYer
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Background:
Over three years ago, I hired a flooring contractor to replace carpeted stairs with red oak treads and risers. The majority of the treads and risers were not cut for an acceptable fit, leaving large gaps between the treads and risers and skirt boards which they asserted can be filled with caulk and be unnoticeable despite both my treads and risers being stained rather than painted. They also left large holes in the skirt boards that they also asserted could be filled with caulk. I rejected both and demanded all treads and risers be replaced and that they figure out how to repair my skirt boards. I never saw them again.

Fast Forward:
I’ve sulked long enough and have decided to have the treads and risers ripped up and replaced a second time once life is “normal” given they are in my entry stairwell and I’m sick of them being unfinished.

Question:

1. Is wood filler the appropriate way to fill in the shallow hole - some of the others are much deeper - seen in the included picture?
    Note: The previous contractor stated that the builder-grade OSB treads were accidentally removed from these holes when cutting off the OSB lip to prepare for install of red oak treads and risers. I don’t know how “accidental” it truly was given there are 12 holes across 14 steps where the areas are either noticeably too shallow (10) or thru-and-thru (2).
  2. Might it work if wooden plugs are cut to fill in as much as possible, sand down the wooden plugs to be as flush as possible with the skirt boards, then fill in what is left of the holes with wood filler before painting?
  3. If not wood filler given it oftentimes cracks, what should be used to ensure no noticeable depressions (relative to the flushness of the skirt boards) at boundaries?

Comments (8)