SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deserthawk_gw

Fan sometimes fails to start and others stays on--board repair?

deserthawk
3 years ago

(this sort of spins from the thread at https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6026568/why-do-i-have-a-b-wire-on-a-split-system-with-no-heat-pump)

I had initially blamed the thermostat (and thus the other thread) for the fan not going on at time. But when it ran all night, and continued doing so *after* I pulled the thermostat from the wall, I came to the conclusion that a disconnected thermostat can't do that . . . When it does that, only killing the breaker will stop it. It does not spin back up when the breaker is reset.)

It was installed in 2009 (poorly, but that's another issue).

I can't find the paper on my unit. I vaguely think it was supposedly going to be a York, but the label suggests otherwise:

(yet these clowns uninstalled my fancy 7 day programable thermostat and installed a basic unit, without asking, with their name on it. And lost the base to mine!)

The burner turns on when it should, but even shorting red to green at the thermostat base doesn't usually turn it on. The burner lights when it should, though.

I found a model but not a brand for the evaporator:

(CP48B3F-207T-006 in case someone types it into a search engine)

Or is that symbol in the lower right a brand?

Anyway, the controller board is more identifiable:

It's apparently from one of the places that picked up the Emerson name.

Is there any chance that I have a loose relay or some such that can simply be tightened? Or tested and replaced?

Is there something else to do to test the board?

I could sure use some guidance, here.

I assume the next step is to go back into the attic and short R to G to see if the fan kicks, but beyond that, unless I know what to "snug" on the board, I don't see anything short of pulling the board.

thanks

hawk

Comments (62)