SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Epic Fail in New Hampshire- how to rectify?

mmqchdygg
11 years ago

So my gardens did pretty poorly this year:

Peas: excellent because they were 'done' before the rainless summer hit.

Summer Squash, Zucchini, cukes and scallop squash: Shocked at these. Every year I plant crookneck and early prolific straightneck, and every year I have literally 10-20lb harvest about twice a week for about a month. This year, however, I couldn't even keep the plants from dying! Four (4) rounds of plantings (~ 4-5 hills each round) just up and DIED. I got ZERO (0) fruits. Cukes I planted 2 rounds- dead.

Tomatoes: the usual: great until August, then blight. Funny thing was, cherry toms were unaffected. Just the bigger varieties got hit.

Corn: stalks no higher than ~4 feet, and dried out or under-developed cobs.

Green beans: Did "ok" but not as well as I'd have liked.

Spinach: what was up with THIS one?! Again, nothing to show for what is typically a very successful crop. What little actually showed up didn't even grow big enough to take one cutting before bolting.

Beets, Cauli and Cabbage: Cabbage actually showed up long about a week ago, but Beets & Cauli were foliage only.

Onions did ok- I do have decent success with onions. And the potatoes were new to me this year, and did "ok."

I rotate everything every year in a 25 x 50' space. So the same crop doesn't hit the same spot only every 4 years.

I usually cover w/black plastic- didn't this year, but haven't had THIS bad of failure ever.

I don't fertilize other than tossing on a fresh pile of compost and roto-tilling it in both in the fall & spring. I build raised beds every year.

Anyone have any tips other than "it was just too damned hot all summer?" Cuz I'm willing to chalk it all up to that :)

What I am thrilled about (but not veggie-talk): I have more butterflies in my yard this year than I've ever seen- it's a wonderland and is very good for stress :)

{{gwi:111645}}

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths