SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aubreya_a

Rye grain to break up compacted lawn soil - bad idea or good idea?

Beabria A
3 years ago

I'm caring for my first lawn. It had been long neglected before I bought the house and I've slowly been tackling problems to improve it. The current problem: seriously compacted soil. My soil is generally pretty good, lots of organic material, but slightly on the clayey side. But in many areas, it is very, very compacted, to the point where some areas will only grow little tufts of grass. I'm pondering the possibility of overseeding some annual cereal rye this coming year, in hopes that the deep roots will open up the soil. But - I can't find anything online describing people doing this in lawns, just in agricultural areas or gardens. This makes me wonder if there's a good reason that I shouldn't do this. I would be mowing the cereal rye regularly with the rest of my lawn, so I don't think that producing seed would be a problem. My lawn is also definitely in a recovering state (was covered by invasive shrubs, brush, etc. until a couple years ago) and is currently a mix of different cold-season grass mixes and weeds - so I'm not really worried about appearance during this growing season. But, I want to make sure that I'm not setting myself up for problems as I try to continue improving the lawn in the future. Thoughts?

Comments (10)