SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaggyfox44

Asbestos contractor removed ducts and didn't replace them

shaggyfox44
3 years ago

Title says it all. We had 3 companies come out, unfortunately went with the cheapest. The house was built in 1942 and used to havea coal burner so we have those big giant unsightly registers/boots lol. The new furnace was a custom job, or uncontracted because the unisulated plenum is too short, 4 round ducts come out of the top, with an extra unsealed duct hole that i just found out about, and two ducts on the sides. 2 instances of 1 duct going to a boot that supplies 2 separate rooms; another discussion another day lol.

He said usually they use 2 man crews but my project was small and the co-owner came to do the work himself because my appointment was delayed a week because his truck broke down.

First he didn't ask how old the house was. He didn't go upstairs to look at any of the boots/registers, just assessed from the basement. He said it should only take a few hours. The first day he came over and unbeknownst to me, he was moving all my furniture by himself. He never asked me to move furniture (there wasn't much but he had to move it all to one side of the room. I would have moved the furniture if he asked me to, i just thought he'd tarp it off because there was plenty of room to wrok. Or i would have helped him move it if he asked me, i was home all day. He traped off the sections and put his air thing in and then he left to do another appointment. It took him 5 hours

The next day he gets there and says it should only take about 45 mins. 2 hours later, with lots of banging muttering and grumbling. i heard the vacuum turn on just as i was heading out the door to pick up my roommate from work. My partner is home but doesn/t know anything about this stuff. The guy says to him, "The asbestos was so caked on the ducts i had to remove them completely. The cost didn't include installing new ducts."

My partner paid him and he left. When i got home i was obviously livid. And instead of doing the right thing and calling the guy back, i was in full panic mode because the house is 55 degrees and dropping. I went to home depot and picked up some ductwork. I was going to redo the whole thing because i wanted it to be right. Somehow he got the asbestoss off the boots without removing them from the wall.

So just in case i got my gloves and respirator and starting chiseling out the plaster and removed them all. I then started undoing the ducts from the plenum. Just as i was going to start removing the plenum i found loose asbestos paper still on top. I don't know if it's from before or after he came and i don't know if any got into the unit.

So now I'm removing myself from this job. What do i do? Do i call him? Call a lawyer? Either or both?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH