SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patricia_dale36

Master Rain Gardener - Proposed sites

Patricia Dale
3 years ago

I'm hoping to propose a rain garden plan to my landlord. I would install it to earn my Master Rain Gardener Certificate for my own career development. He would like to remedy the soggy backyard, so he is already looking to work with me and spend some money. The sump pump is triggered during most summer rain events. I proposed the idea of a rain garden in the orange oval area, which is a low area that pools water. He countered with his idea of dumping a lot of soil on the orange area to create a slope away from the house and re-seeding it with grass.

He is a reasonable guy who could potentially be swayed by a professional proposal for the orange area. An alternative spot could be within the strips of old concrete- the area(s) marked in blue (I might only propose one to be planted because the digging will probably be awful). This would require a longer reach for maybe some seasonal tubing connected to the house downspout. By the way, the downspout pictured is new as of this fall; all of the water was formerly routed to the far left-out of frame- of where that new one is now. I believe the orange area floods because the sump pump empties there.

The area marked in red is a concrete slab with a sloped edge that channels rain water from its impermeable surface to the blue strips. The area in green behind that is a gravel garden, that is quite permeable, where a small garage used to stand. Another aside: this house is 100 years old and the oldest in our neighborhood. Lets hope I find some treasure while digging.

The top picture is from a camera mounted on the house. The second photo is taken from the same angle on the ground. The third photo is facing the house. The orange area would line up with the horizontal window/downspout /meters in the third photo.

Please opine! Are you rooting for plan 'O'range or plan 'B'lue?

Comments (5)