SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirsten4224

How to design around a warm brown stove?

kirsten4224
3 years ago

I've been waffling on cabinet paint colors for awhile and now it's time for us to install and paint our cabinets so I have to make a choice. Our stove is this Technogas Deco model in brown - it's a warm brown (sorry no actual pic as it's currently still in its packaging). Brown wasn't my first choice but we got such a smoking deal on this stove we just had to go for it. I'd like to go for a greige/taupe paint color I think - something that isn't white but is still slightly warm to play off the brown stove, but I'm worried about it being too too brown.

First question: I'm wondering what everyone's favorite paint colors for this would be - at a certain point all of the greige chips I have started to look the same and I need to narrow it down without spending $100 on paint sample cans! I know that I liked FB Shaded White and maybe Hardwick white (or maybe that was too green and too dark, it was hard for me to get a sense when I sampled), but it would be great to find something in Valspar or Sherwin Williams lines of paints as it would be a lot cheaper.

For design reference, our cabinets are inset, and we will have a beadboard backsplash with open shelves above (see second picture). We have a Kohler Whitehaven farm sink and an unlacquered brass bridge faucet. I'm including a drawing for reference - the other side of the kitchen will be storage cabinets and the fridge (it's a galley-like layout, though I big wider). The dishwasher will also be paneled, which is not reflected in the drawing.

Second question: Our counters will likely be Carrara, but my initial love was soapstone. I started feeling like the soapstone would potentially be too dark with this stove and maybe wouldn't look good with the brown, even with lighter cabinets. I'd love thoughts on that, though I not looking for feedback on material choices - we are not interested in a granite, quartz/ite, or Silestone for this project.

Third question: Backsplash behind this stove. We use our kitchen hard, so I want to get the right material. When we were going with soapstone, I was going to have them run a soapstone backsplash behind the stove but again, potentially too dark. I've heard marble can stain quite badly as a stove backsplash, so I don't think that's a good idea. Now I'm wondering what else would look good with the beadboard and the brown/brass. I'm interested in stainless with a utensil hook as it seems easy to install and easy to clean, but maybe that would be too stark. Tile is the last option that I'd like to avoid mostly because I hate tiling :). I also thought it might look funny with just one small section of tile. The kitchen is small so uniformity of materials seems important.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH