SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizv233

Type of tree and placement for tight space in Zone 9

We removed some ill-maintained honey suckles and Wax Privets and huge Pomegranate (sadly it was just in the wrong spot and constantly stained our patio). We’re looking for a cleaner look to the yard. Although we are in Zone 9 (Southern California), our house is near a mountain so sun in the winter is very minimal.

I like the smaller crape Myrtles, Strawberry Trees (Marina Hybrid variety), Majestic Beauty Hawthorns (I read they grow 10’ but the nursery here says they’ll be much smaller) and Little Gem Magnolias. We currently have two young little gems in the back corners of the yard (that need to be spun as we planted them backwards. Whoops). The planting distance from the back fence to where the closest tree to the house can go is only about 22 feet. I wouldn’t want the trees more than 3 feet off the block wall so the roots need to go down, not out. We also have a large 2-story play structure which I would like to have only 3.5-4’ off the wall and back fence.

Do we have 3 trees per side (smaller one in the center)? Or only two? I’m ok with deciduous if it gives us colorful beauty for most the year.
Ideally the trees would be about 10-15 tall—no bigger. Our yard is not huge and we have a patio cover.

Other ideas I’ve been toying with are two trees with a trellis in the middle. Or vines. Or metal decorative screens.
Any ideas or help would be much appreciated. Thank You! 😊

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting