hanzliks_hanzlik

What annoys you the most?

sal 60 Hanzlik
3 years ago

Spam calls for me. What about you?

Comments (134)

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

“Until they made some changes last year Rusty is correct. If you were in the intersection when the light turned red a picture of you and your car was taken. Then you were sent a ticket that had to be paid. Now it is only if you have entered the intersection as they have adjusted the cameras for time lapse. Third ticket added points to your license.”

Here red light camera summonses are accompanied by both stills and video. The question should be less what you were ticketed for and more what law says. If you’re allowed to wait in the intersection and there’s no evidence that you entered the intersection after the light change, I’d be fighting it. I also don’t see how they can assign points without knowing who the driver is. Maybe that’s “just how it is” in some places, but all of this sounds overdue for community pushback.

• chisue
    3 years ago

This doesn't *irratate* me, but is increasingly common: Drivers who do not stop BEHIND the line (or, lacking a line, parallel with the stop sign or stoplight). I think this is part of the 'Eat my dust/Race you to the next light' syndrome. I want to be well back from the potential accident in an intersection, and I want to leave space for a pedestrian to cross the street safely, whether there's a painted walkway or not.

• Related Discussions

annoyed with the 'annoyed with highly annoyed thread'

Q

Comments (6)
    Does this start acting like a double negative--I'm annoyed with annoyed, so I'm not really annoyed? :-) I'm annoyed that you're annoyed that I'm annoyed--could be a hit song! Or like the old childhood game--try saying quickly "What kind of noise annoys an oyster?" Thanks, elemire and campanula, for sensible and accurate posts. "A noisy noise annoys an oyster."
    ...See More

What is the most annoying thing about a man?

Q

Comments (63)
    Reminds me of years ago, I was working full time w/ a commute - 2 teenage boys; ExDH, airline pilot, on days off, at home, did nothing to help. I once said to him, that I just didn't understand how he could keep 300 people aloft at 35,000 feet but could not put the mayonnaise away.................. My DH now is pretty much a neat freak, to the point of annoyance. He insists on letting hot water run while washing up a few dishes. The problem is that he doesn't get all of them clean so I have to put them in the dishwasher anyway :-( Our hot water is heated in the boiler with fuel oil and you know how expensive that is!! He just doesn't get it and I have given up trying to get an 81 year old man to change his evil ways.
    ...See More

What is the most annoying thing about a woman?

Q

Comments (37)
    So, you wanted a man's opinion. OK, here goes although it may not put me in a good light. I really did not wnat to agitate the wonderful people on this forum. At gatherings, take look at entrances and doorways. Women tend to clog the entrances. They will move just inside an entryway and stop. After two more do this, it is impossible for a man to pass through without being rude or pushy. That's irritating. This is merely an observation, not an attack on women. I've watch this phenomonem and have wondered what is the basis of this behavor? It doesn't matter what kind of meeting it is, social, business, or church, it happens. It tends to happen more often in friendly social gatherings. The same ones who block entryways also dawddle when in line at a self serve buffet. If they can't make up their mind on food choices, it never occurs to them to continue on and to let others pass along. They could alway pass though and then go back to the end of the line if they decided on another food choice. I have seen a few in a self serve line stop to discuss a dish for 5 minutes or more without regard to others who are waiting in line. Fortunately, this does not happen often and this applies equally to both men abd women. Other than that, I like pot luck buffets. It creates lots of material for conversation starters and I am always amazed at the variety of skillful food prepration, especially when the guys add their barbeques and chilles.
    ...See More

Most Annoying Oprah Disciples

Q

Comments (21)
    I was somewhat torn between Dr. Phil and Rachael Ray. I'm much more familiar with Phil (so to speak), and used to enjoy his showÂalthough I found Robin irritating. But his show has gotten so sleazy! The couple of times I've seen Rachael Ray I've been puzzled at her popularity. Her food is way too unhealthy to appeal to me, although I can understand most of America liking it. But that voice! She seems like a nice person, but that never made someone a celebrity. So I voted for (against?) Dr. Phil. I like Nate a lot. I like Dr. Oz, perhaps to a lesser degree, but agree with the writer about the scrubs. What's with that? Suze Orman can be a bit much, but I wasn't aware that she had any connection to Oprah. I like Jean Chatzky, but thought she became popular on the Today Show. Gayle can be funny. I have Rosie's cookbook because my mother gave it to me as a gift. I can't stand Marianne Williamson. I'm familiar with some of the other names, but not the people themselves. Some, like Peter Walsh and Stacy London, I'd never heard of.
    ...See More
  • Rusty
    3 years ago

"I want to be well back from the potential accident in an intersection, and I want to leave space for a pedestrian to cross the street safely, whether there's a painted walkway or not."

I agree! ! It is also frustrating to have a large pickup, van or similar vehicle in the middle (going straight) lane pulled up too far when I'm trying to make a right turn on red. I can't see over their vehicle and would have to pull too far into the intersection to see around them. So I've no choice but to sit and wait for the light change while impatient drivers behind me are honking because they don't realize I can't see what might be coming.

As for the left turn question, I think, but am not positive, that that type of law is governed locally. And it makes sense that the amount of traffic would influence it.

Rusty

• jupidupi
    3 years ago

Belated Happy Birthday, joyfulguy!

• Olychick
    3 years ago

"I also don’t see how they can assign points without knowing who the driver is."

I'm not sure how it works other places, but my son borrowed my pick-up and got a ticket for running a red light in OR. I got the ticket because it was my license plate. I contacted them and told them I was not the driver. They required me to provide i.d. of who the driver was in order to dismiss the ticket against me. I did, he cooperated (not sure what would have happened if he would have denied it was him) and they reissued the ticket to him.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    3 years ago

intolerant people?

;)

• sprtphntc7a
    3 years ago

people who mow their lawns EARLY on the weekends!

landscapers who blow the cut grass into the street and over your car

barking dogs who are not brought indoors (or stopped)

people who take up 2 parking spaces

"know-it alls"

people who talk over you or interrupt you-- non-listeners

junk mail

robo calls

people who treat all animals as disposable, here for our entertainment (circus etc..) & a 'who cares' attitude ....

people who don't think its necessary to spay or neuter their pet

climate change deny'ers

• foodonastump
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

"know-it alls"

know-it-alls

ETA ;)

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Careful: you don't want to become seen as irratating. To cause some to start becoming deny'ers of the aptness of what you are posting.

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

An annoyance to myself... when I forget to prep myself for the yard seasonally because it's been a year.

Yesterday, was out for snow clearing- and straight forgot to make sure I put on ear coverings and a bit of face grease or covering before getting to work. Got my ears wind-caught and my face a bit winter-wind burned. In the spring, I often am raring to get outside and forget to start applying heavier sunscreen and bug repellent till I remember because my face gets pinked and I find a tick or two. High summer usually sees at least a few scratches from the blackberries out back when I'm not wearing the right clothes and just can't resist checking the patches to see if they are ready since I'm out walking around that way... then getting distracted with eating if they are! Or when the season is right and I fall for the temptation of eating a couple too many tart apples off the old apple tree out back and my... digestion protests.

I know better, and I know I know better... but somehow I always seem to forget anyway... grrrrrr me :)

• HamiltonGardener
    3 years ago

I am annoyed by people who own dogs, but do not fulfil their obligation to train it or socialize it properly.

Barking, whining, jumping up on people...

How about those untrained dogs who try to pull away from their owners as they walk, thinking you will pet them?

And any dog who snarls or bites should be removed from the owner immediately. They obviously have no clue or responsibility as a dog owner on how to train a dog.

But, it’s everyone’s right to own an animal.

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

^^^^

No kidding. My 91 yo mother was attacked by her neighbor’s dog the other day. They have an invisible fence but one got loose without collar just as she was walking by. Fortunately she was wearing jeans, or the snarling little thing could have done some damage to her leg. They’ve got like three of these things, and no basic training??

• HamiltonGardener
    3 years ago

Yeah. And the people who make excuses for the behaviour.

”Oh, she’s too small to really hurt anyone.”

”He growls and barks, but he’d never actually bite someone”

”Oh, he’s just protecting his family, it’s what a dog is supposed to do!”

• Lars
    3 years ago

I was bitten by a dog in Houston in 1970 as I was walking down Montrose Avenue in the Museum District. The dog was not on a leash and was loose in the front yard of a house with no fence. The dog had been trained not to go onto the sidewalk, but one day it decided to include the sidewalk in the territory that it was trained to defend, and it bit several other people that day, including a policeman. I was wearing blue jeans, but the dog's teeth went right through them and punctured the skin of my leg. The owner of the dog paid for my blue jeans, but that was it. He also told me that it would be pointless to try to sue him. I was very young and did not even know how to sue someone. I sewed a patch over the holes in my pants made by the dog.

This was not my first dog bite, and to this day, I avoid all dogs as much as possible and try to keep as much distance between them and me as I can. I also tell people who visit my house that they cannot bring their dog. My house and yard are not dog-friendly, and the yard could be dangerous for dogs, since I have poisonous plants, not to mention cactus. I like cats, but I am allergic to them. People who have cats do not seem to take them with them the way dog owners do. Dogs are annoying on so many levels.

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

As a little kid I was bit by a dog three times. Like draw blood three times. Our dog. Fortunately it didn’t affect my love of dogs. Wouldn’t want to be without.

• amylou321
    3 years ago

Speaking of annoyances and dogs...

The man who bought the land behind me and built a house there has a dog. He lets his dog run loose through the woods. It's some sort of hound dog. He lives on about 55 acres,and I cannot see his house from our land. Its woods in between. His dog comes to our house every single day, and stays all day. Now, she is a VERY sweet dog. That being said she is extremely irritating. Our dogs are fenced in. They bark at her. It's their JOB,so I can't be mad at them. Trouble with that is. Me and SO both work nights now, so we have to sleep during the day. So our dogs barking to alert us to his dog on our property disrupts that. Especially as she is here all day. Also, she is skin and bones. She eats the cat food I put out for the feral cats. She turns our trash can over looking for food. She takes things out of our garage and carries them all over the yard. I have a video of her picking up one of our blink cameras and carrying it off. Took me a while to find it since it lost the wifi signal once she hit the woods with it. Good thing the camera captured the general direction it was going in, or I might never have found it.

I called my neighbor about it and he told me to just "run her off,she'll find her way home." This does not work. If we chase her away she hides in the woods until we turn our backs then she's right back at our house.

To make matters worse I discovered that my SO,who is SUCH a softie for an animal, has been feeding her because she looks so starving and pathetic. So now we will never be rid of her. Even if he stops she will still come up looking for food everyday. I asked him to at least feed her on the front porch where our dogs can't see her and bark all day. Unfortunately Muffin can hear a squirrel sneeze 500 miles away so she still barks. Ugh.

I found her today laying ON TOP OF my car,like a cat. Muddy paw prints and scratches all over my trunk. I am so sick of this dog. Everyone tells me to just shoot her, but its not her fault,and I would never do that. This man has enough money to put up a kennel for his dog. I hate people like that. IF YOU GET A DOG,FEED IT AND KEEP IT AT HOME!!!!!!!!

Oh,this is the same man who called me and told me that he had some honeybees about 300 yards from my house, and that he noticed the beautiful flower garden I have, and could I please be sure not to spray them with anything that would harm his bees. He is actually a very nice man,but he obviously has his flaws.

• amylou321
    3 years ago

Here she is today, getting ready to tear something up....

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

It could have worms, cancer or some other problem.

• amylou321
    3 years ago

She swallows food whole without even chewing it. She's hungry.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Your point?

• amylou321
    3 years ago

My point is its an annoyance (the subject of this thread) that someone obtained a pet then failed to feed it properly,therefore she has become a nuisance to us.

• HamiltonGardener
    3 years ago

Amylou,

Perfect example.

• Olychick
    3 years ago

Why don't you turn her in to animal services? If he has to go claim her and pay to get her out, or is fined for not caring for her, perhaps they will find a new home for her.

• amylou321
    3 years ago

There is no "animal services" here. I live in the sticks. And I wouldn't do that anyway if there were something like that available unless she was dangerous. She's not. She's just annoying. Just like his adult sons who still live with him riding their 4 wheelers very close to my property, shooting at nothing just to be making noise. Annoying but not life shattering.

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

She’s a lean dog but doesn’t look underfed to me. I would think that scratches on the car would warrant a second request to keep her away. You might be being too friendly. Maybe you can collect a few photos of her mischief, in the act.

Your mention of SO feeding her reminded me of when my dog was a puppy. At first he pretty much stayed in my yard but then he got into a habit of visiting the back/side neighbor’s yard. I’d generally keep an eye out and call him back immediately. Anyway the neighbors made a few comments about his visits which were friendly but left me thinking they were giving me a subtle hint. But then at one point they asked if it was ok that they were giving him bits of food when he stopped by. And suddenly I understood his interest in visiting.

• User
    3 years ago

amylou321 - what about shutting the garage, keeping the dogs inside for several days and see if the dog views your place as no longer giving the attention and food she wants. Similar to a bully, if you don't engage they give up and go elsewhere.

Another take on the turning her in idea would be to "adopt" the dog to a friend that lives a long way away (so she won't return) and would be a good owner for the animal.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Screaming kids, hands down.

But with recent events.....the litter of the blue masks. For God's sakes have the decency to throw them in the trash at home, not on the sidewalks, streets, lawns etc. Everyone should be cutting the loops in half before disposing of them as well. I've seen pics of ducks and other wildlife with masks around their necks.

• caflowerluver
    3 years ago

Constant interruptions, especially when I am in the middle of something.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Constant interruptions, especially when I am in the middle of something.

Ah ah ah ah ah! I'M talking now!!

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Pre-recorded groundhogs.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Tooth chattering on tape?

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

No tooth chattering needed. Here was the scene, the morning after a record-breaking snowstorm:

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

So maybe the teeth of the men were chattering instead.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

Driving down a certain main street on the way to the airport, where there is a city maintained trash can on every block (on each side of the road) and seeing trash all over the sidewalks and curbs - and no, the trash cans are not overflowing.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

It drives me crazy when adults say "Yummy" or 'sammich'. That's fine for a 3-yr old but not an adult.

• amylou321
    3 years ago

Jasdip, my mother is 70 and still says "go potty." It drives me nuts.

• chisue
    3 years ago

Let's add 'Little Girls/Boys Room' to the so-precious avoidance of a perfectly good word, 'toilet'. Another bit of nonsense is to say 'bathroom' instead.

A friend has a story about this. She and her DH were on a back road in Spain when she began to have stomach cramps. They stopped at a house and rang the bell. A maid answered. My friend asked in halting Spanish if they had a bathroom. A defferential maid showed her to a room with shower and tub. The *toilet* was in another room.

• Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

Ignorant people who still think Covid 19 is a hoax and nearly half a million Americans didn't die from it.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

The unbridled unspeakable evil of the Holocaust never happened either and vaccines make you sick so you should never get them, leave yourself and your children vulnerable to terrible diseases instead, don't you know.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

There is no limit to how stupid and ignorant people can be, it's an opinion and an attitude that I've had since my young adult years. But it's only been in the past few years that it has become so dramatically and shockingly clear that such people are a not small but rather a large double digit portion of our nation. I'm not talking about specific political party affiliations, not at all, because people like this exist across the political spectrum. In both major parties and outside major parties. Most shockingly, it's too often people who should know better.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Everyone should know better than COVID denial, Holocaust denial, anti vaccination belief, racism, homophobia and so on - in such cases the motivator is emotion rather than (true) information.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

It is sadly harsh to say it, but early on in my career I really started to believe that in the area we had a somewhat significant population that are stubbornly stupid.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    3 years ago

Greedy people go after you for their own benefits and profits.

• chisue
    3 years ago

I have a new annoyance. Can anyone explain what it means when an adult tells you she 'was alowed to believe' total nonsense? *Allowed to believe*? Huh?

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Today there is a newscaster who used the phrase, "Two AM this morning". As opposed to what? Two AM in the afternoon? It is redundant. We all know AM from PM.

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

Two AM yesterday morning? Or Two AM on X-day morning, like names of the days of the week, or a special morning like Christmas. Might depend on the news story.

• User
    3 years ago

chisue - I suspect the person was trying to say "they were led to believe", a phrase meaning they were influenced.

• Lars
    3 years ago

"Two AM this morning" is redundant, and so the AM is the redundant part, but it does sound a bit better better than "Two o'clock this morning." It is important to keep the "this morning" part to identify the day, and "Two AM today" does not sound exactly right either. Normally I am also opposed to redundancy, but I think I might let this one slide. One could say "At two this morning," which is probably what I would say myself. I don't think people say "o'clock" so much any more and have substituted AM and PM to indicate that they are talking about time.

What bothers me more is when people begin sentences with "Me," as in "Me and X did something." I heard a doctor say this today on CBS This Morning, and it made her sound uneducated. English pronouns are not that complicated or difficult to learn how to use correctly. Other languages have many more options and therefore more ways to say something incorrectly. It bothers me also when people use reflexive pronouns incorrectly, which happens a lot in English, both by Americans and British. I commonly hear people answer the question "How are you?" with "... and yourself?" This bothers me no end. No one says "How are yourself?"

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

It doesn't matter which week-day you are referring to. AM and morning mean the same thing.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Today I was reminded that these days I am quite annoyed by other shoppers coming up to where I am browsing and getting right next to me. Instead of staying back, waiting until I finish looking and move on - I want to get a hat that says I Was Here First You Know.

Annoyed because being subjected to somebody not social distancing can be a death sentence under the current circumstances.