SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gemma_mmm

Cork Flooring durability thoughts

Squid ggg
3 years ago

I'm getting my upstairs (2 bedrooms and an office, plus hallway, 550 sqft) done in "wood" (removing the carpet). I'm debating between getting an engineered bamboo (or solid, why are the prices similar), versus getting cork. I've been looking at the Cali Bamboo planks. I'm interested in the flooring being sustainable, low chemicals aka no vinyl, and floating( not glue down), but also price conscious. (https://www.calibamboo.com/product-el-natural-quiet-cork-flooring-7807000200.html)

I have never seen a cork floor so I'm having a hard time imaging it, and it's upkeep and normal wear. I'm trying to think of what I expect the floor to look like in 10 years. I have no kids or pets. When I read about cork, I hear chairs can cause abrasion marks, removing the coating. I've heard about cork floors having flaking which is part of wear. The sample does seem soft, like I can mark it with a spoon, both lines/dents and sliding spoon gives it an abrasion/lifting pattern. I've heard of paint filler products for scratches, but not sure how to find those online. Will my bed legs or couch legs put permanent indentations in the cork? Does one put plastic floor mat under their office chair wheels? Their product has 15yr warranty.

Anyone with a cork flooring, can you tell me about your experience and it's durability? Possible a picture of what cork floor flaking looks like (I've tried google and no photos come up). If I drop dye or stain on the floor, will it color the floor, or is the coating strong enough that nothing goes through.

Comments (5)