SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wagnerpe

X-Post: Cork next to hardwood. Any thoughts?

wagnerpe
11 years ago

I'm X-posting this in Decorating and Flooring.

I had someone come to look at my living room and dining room today to give me a quote on new floors. There is currently carpet here and hardwood on the rest of the main level, so I wanted to get an idea of what it would cost to extend the wood.

I was aware of an uneven nature to the floor in that the threshhold of a door on one end of the house is 2 inches higher than the threshhold of a door on the other end. I brought this to the man's attention and so he did a little bit of sleuthing about to see why that was.

To make a long story short, we have very unusual subflooring in the house (as in, "huh; in 35 years of working in this town, I've never seen that before") So, while he's going to give me a quote on wood and on carpet, he also wants to quote me cork because he said it has the easy to clean nature of wood, but won't involve all of the work/surprise costs that will likely be involved with wood due to the strange subfloor. I'm willing to consider cork if it would look OK aesthetically. .

Does anyone have any pictures of cork next to oak hardwood? We have a large open transition area between our foyer (oak) and living room (currently carpet). I think it may be too large a space to change from wood to something wood-like. It's OK from wood to carpet because those are two different kinds of floor - does that make sense? Thanks!

Comments (2)