SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charles_ramsey1225

The truth about chimney inspections?

Charles Ramsey
3 years ago

I juts purchased a 1957 home with two wood-burning fireplaces that look to be in great condition and I'm dreading the chimney inspection process. The reason is because the last three homes I've lived in (I move around a lot) also had fireplaces and after each inspection (all inspectors were certified) the verdict was (of course) "Oh wow! Yeah, ya gotta replace the liner, the this, the that, and the other thing". After all was said and done I was in by $3k-$6k for each house. So the question is, has there EVER been an instance where the chimney people are just like "Yeah, looks to be in good shape, we'll just do a sweep and be out of your hair."? It seems to me they'll always find $ome rea$on that there's a ton of work required. How can I find out the absolute unbiased truth about my fireplaces? Is that even possible?

To be clear, of course I'd want to know if my chimney really did need repair and I'm happy to pay for the peace of mind that comes from a fully inspected and approved fireplace if that's what needs to be done. But god! Statistically, how can 4 houses ALL need fully relined and repaired chimneys? I don't know, but I'm afraid that it's all gonna happen again after the dreaded inspection. I guess this was more of a rant than a question, but any advice about how I might get an unbiased inspection would be great. Thanks for listening.

Comments (7)