Something I do in my bedroom!

jim_1 (Zone 9A)

This is difficult, sharing such information with you, but I really would like to have some input. That is what happens at the Kitchen Table! Right? The missus thinks that what I am going to bring up is nothing! And she really means nothing!

OK...here goes. I noticed a long time ago that I do something in a special way in the bedroom. I put on my left sock, then my right sock, then my left shoe and then my right shoe. One might think that a person would do both sock and shoe on one foot and then move to the other. Nope, socks first, then shoes. Always left first.

And, to take it a step further, I put my left leg into my shorts and trousers first. A t-shirt goes over the head, then left arm followed by the right arm.

I am right hand dominant. Is that why I go left before I go right?

What about you? You might have to take off your clothes and figure it out, I'll wait!

SaveComment40Like2
Comments (40)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

You're doing it right. I said so.

3 Likes Save    
Lucille

I do something in a special way in the bedroom.

Do you do this differently in other rooms?

9 Likes Save    
foggyj2

Your wife is probably right. But I'll indulge you. I put both socks on first (doesn't matter which foot first, I think I vary that) I put pants on, sitting down , lean back and put both legs in at the same time. No balance issues needed. Are you taking a survey? (an aside---this was a skit on All in the Family, with Meathead and Archie.)

1 Like Save    
Uptown Gal

LOL..,pretty much like you do. I am right handed, but left-handed dominant

in lots of ways. Putting a sock on then the shoe before the other sock would

be so,so wrong! LOL Worse...I sometimes put my socks on sitting in my chair

in the LR watching the morning news/weather! Gads, what would I do, if

someone came to the door and spotted me? ;) Thanks for the smile this

afternoon, Jim..it is dreary here and going to snow a bunch.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

I put my left sock on first too. I noticed that when I take a step, it's always my left foot first, even though I'm right-handed. I thought this was weird, but apparently I'm not that odd at all.

Save    
bpath

Foggy, I remember that scene! It went something like, Archie says that putting on both socks first makes sense because what if there’s a fire, if you have on a sock and shoe you’ll just be hopping on one foot. And Mike says, at least one foot would be completely warm and dry; with just socks on, they’ll both get wet. It was the funniest argument they ever had!

1 Like Save    
yeonassky

I'm ambidextrous. I have no idea if that means anything in this context.

Left sock first then right sock after I put on my unders and slacks. Then slippers.

Save    
sweet_betsy No AL Z7

You seem perfectly fine, Jim. I am right handed and do just like you.

Save    
morz8

I'm right handed, but thinking about it, I think I usually put my sock on my right foot first. The way it works is: I sit down in the bedrooms garden window ledge/seat, put some moisturizing cream on my right heel, then my sock. The same routine with the left foot. The cream stays right on the window bench along with a weather station and a couple of throw pillows. Then I walk over to my vanity which is open to our bedroom where I slide into my indoor shoes.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I pay no attention to what i do. If I had to guess, I'd guess that I do it differently every time, in a different order every time. What I do know is that I'm undressed when I start and then dressed when I'm finished.

Maybe your wife needs more hobbies or things to do?

My wife's peculiar habit related to this topic? She says "socks and shoes". I come from a long line of thoughtful folks who always said "shoes and socks" and that's what I say. Her parents weren't particularly mentally nimble, nor well educated, nor even folks who read a newspaper daily. I attribute their reversed pattern to their intellectual shortcomings.

Anyone out there who says it wrong, "socks and shoes"? I won't criticize but if yes, a conclusion may be quietly reached.

1 Like Save    
wildchild2x2

I am right handed. Left leg goes in pants first. Left sock goes on first and left boot. However I may put both socks on before shoes. I am almost completely deaf in my left ear so I have always thought I put my left leg in pants first due to balance issues, since I tend to tip/lean a bit that way, but maybe not since you bring it up. I rarely sit down to dress. Mostly for socks. Despite my balance issues I am usually standing to get dressed. Maybe it is just natural for people to do dominant side last.

Save    
jupidupi

A dancer explained to me that people have a natural tendency to crossover reach, that is, a right hander will naturally be more inclined to turn toward the left and a left-hander toward the right. So reaching to put on your left sock first makes sense.

I once heard from a German man that it was normal to put on socks and shoes before putting on pants. To me, that sounds like it would get the insides of his pants dirty. Plus it wouldn't work for me because I like skinny jeans.

Save    
nickel_kg

I'm right handed, and *think* I usually put on my right sock first, then the left. I don't wear shoes in the house, but again *think* I usually start with the right. It's not anything I've paid much attention to. But it's always putting on both socks, then both shoes -- Meathead was wrong, Archie was right!

Elmer, you put on your socks and shoes, and take off your shoes and socks ;-)

2 Likes Save    
wildchild2x2

jupidupi

The crossover reach makes sense. I think that is why I would never want a dishwasher on my right. I load and unload using a crossover reach. Actually when I think about it a lot of tasks I do are done that way.

Save    
Marilyn_Sue

No socks just slip on shoes.

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Shoes and socks!

1 Like Save    
jim_1 (Zone 9A)

And then...stepping out of the shower. Left foot first. Grab the towel and wipe left arm, then right arm. Getting lower, left leg and then right leg.

The missus says that she does right first and then left. She also is right-handed.

Save    
aok27502

Both socks, left foot first, then pants, not sure which leg. Then shoes, whichever I grab first. I'm right handed.

At least you don't put on you shoes and socks.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I've always liked you kathyg, now I know why.

Save    
foggyj2

I'd like to know how many of us are going to be aware of this tomorrow, when we get dressed. Now I can't NOT think about it! lol (I will still put both legs in pants, at the same time though.)

Save    
Lindsey_CA

Although everyone I know says, "shoes and socks," I can understand why someone would say, "socks and shoes," because you put socks on before you put shoes on (that is, if you wear both at the same time). Having said that, however, alphabetically "shoes" comes before "socks." 🤣

Save    
Elizabeth

Either way of saying it is fine with me. I have heard both.

I do left sock first also.

Save    
bob_cville

Right handed. Right sock first. Right shoe first. Left pant leg first. and since I got muck boots for Christmas, left boot first.

Lately putting on pants has become dangerous. I'll put the left leg in. and Jasper my now 6-month old puppy will grab the right leg of the pants and pull or twist it. so that my right leg won't go though. A couple of time I've almost taken a tumble.

Save    
Lars

I recently saw a show in which someone put on his left sock and then his left shoe, and his friend told him that he was doing it all wrong, but he said, "Well at least if I have to hop around the room, I will have at least one shoe on," or something like that.

I cannot remember what show this was, and I might have watched it on line. I put both of my socks on before putting any shoes on, and I think this is what most people do. Being right-handed, I start with my left foot because it is easier.

One of the reasons I put both socks on first is to make sure that I am wearing matching socks.

Like Nickel_kg, I put on socks and shoes and I take off shoes and socks. If it is cold, I just take off my shoes and leave my socks on, but that is rare. Most of the time I do not wear socks anyway because I wear sandals instead.

1 Like Save    
ci_lantro

Jim, you need to get a hobby. :-)

1 Like Save    
aok27502

I paid attention. Right leg first.

I knew you'd want to know.

1 Like Save    
Ont_Gal

Right sock first then left sock-then oddly, left shoe then right shoe.

I was first a leftie made to change in the 60's to right handed...

Save    
Ded tired

There was a scene in All In The Family where Archie and Meathead got in an argument because Archie thought Meathead put his socks and shoes on the wrong way. One said sock, shoe, sock, shoe and the other said sock, sock, shoe shoe.

Can‘t believe I found it!

4 Likes Save    
Suzieque

Oh, Ded Tired, as I read his post that All in the Family segment is all I could think about! I can't believe you found it, either. Fabulous.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

What a fantastic scene with two brilliant performers in a brilliant show. Thanks for sharing it. I'll think of it when putting on my shoes and socks.

Save    
Lars

Ded Tired, that's the show I was referring to!

1 Like Save    
Ded tired

I guess that show made a big impression on a lot of people. It sure stuck in my mind.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

I sleep in my bedroom ... dunno what weird stuff you do in yours ... [lol]

and why you feel you have to talk about it

Save    
OutsidePlaying

Dedtired, I am so glad you posted the All in the Family video. That is immediately what came to my mind. So funny!

1 Like Save    
amicus

I'm right handed. Right foot first for socks. If shoes are just slip ons, no particular order. If they're lace ups or zipper closure, then right foot first. Pants always put on with right foot first.

Elmer, I agree that 'socks and shoes' just sounds too strange. DH says 7/24 instead of 24/7. Drives me nuts.

Save    
chisue

OK, not IN the bedroom, but in my closet: Put on underwear (right leg first). Sit down. Right sock, left sock. Stand up. Right leg, left leg. Step into right shoe, left shoe. (I get a back ache if I don't wear Merrills shoes all the time. Wish they made slippers.)

Save    
Embothrium

I keep waiting for this thread to become racy but it never does.

Quite the opposite in fact.

1 Like Save    
joyfulguy

Long johns first, don't think always same leg first.

This old guy is getting to where he has to wiggle and squinch down to capture a toe to lift up to drag the sock on, sometimes left first, and sometimes right first, I think.

Pull on pants, don't remember which leg first.

Then the shoes. Again can't remember whether usually one side first.

Call me "undisciplined"

... "un-ed-icated" ... maybe.

When I'm wearing short and loose topped socks and take off rubber boots, I know which one tends to stay behind in the boot after walking, it's the left. I think the left boot is a slight bit tighter.

ole joyful

Save    
martinca_gw sunset zone 24

Thank you dd!! For so many silly years I’ve begun my foot dressing with a tuneless little drum of “ socknashoe,socknashoe,socknashoe” ... when I’m in a happy mood. Funny how things stick. Yep, Elmer...t’was brilliant.’

and left first- right handed.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I never pay attention to sock/shoe thing, but in the winter, because my room is cold, I always completely undress and redress the top half of my body and then I do the same for the bottom half....that way, at least half of me is warmer.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Apartments Houzz Tour: Something’s Different in Denmark
The owners of this bohemian Copenhagen apartment rebel against the Scandinavian penchant for white interiors
Full Story
Lighting Change Up Your Bedroom’s Look With Pendant Lamps
When table lamps seem snoozy or you want to save space, bedside pendant lights are a bright idea
Full Story
Fun Houzz Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
Locally owned & operated Closet America has become one of the most reviewed & the most awarded closet companies!... Read More
Our team of dedicated experts is here to offer you the best customer service, the highest quality products, an... Read More