SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Does spiked ground cover or low growing throned shrubs exist?

jaxo
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Instead of fencing, I’m looking for a sharp thorned plant barrier that will keep dog walkers from allowing their dogs to leave urine burn marks on the lawn.

Ideally, it will be just tall and wide enough to keep even a quite large dog from simply stepping over it to access the lawn. Basically, a decorative ”moat” to keep dogs off the lawn.

Obviously, it would also need to deter dogs from urinating directly on it or else just not be damaged by dog urine.

I’m looking for something that actually looks good and adds curb appeal as well as serving this utilitarian purpose.

The lawn goes right up the curb like this photo.

I‘d like something that looks like the puffy plants shown next to the curb in this photo, but if nothing exists like that, then I would be open to a different look.

It would just need to be something that would fill in and not leave any space that a dog could step around or over it. I would likely put a landscaping border behind it to keep it separated from the grass. It would go along the curb and on both sides of the walkway leading to the front door.

Any other ideas that would both look good and keep dogs away?

Comments (41)