SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poway_2008

ground cover for back yard slope with pine trees

poway_2008
15 years ago

Hi, I live in San Diego North Inland. I have a big slope in the back yard that has untreated hard soil with rocks. We also have two pine trees and two other trees that I can't name. The previous owner planted some red ice plant but most of them have lost their green and dying. The supposedly plump and tender branches have dried out. A gardener told me that it is because of the bad soil condition and give me a quote to clean out the slope and put new topsoil and buy well rooted ground cover for about $1000, which I don't want to spend this much on a slope. Another friend told me that with the two pine trees, nothing will survive because of the acidic soil, so even putting top soil doesn't help. I am looking for a fast growing, drought tolerance ground cover which does well in both sun and shade (one of the trees is quite shady), most importantly works well with pine needles. Any recommendations? I prefer flowering ones,if possible.Can I buy seeds instead of flats? I have a huge area. Thank you.

Comments (13)