SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_573804045

Help me know where to start with a big project??

Amanda Watson
3 years ago

Hello all!

We have a two-story home in Vancouver that is only about 25 years old but was poorly designed and corners were cut. It needs to be upgraded to function (and be safe!!) for our family of four (2 toddlers) + pets. We'd like to renovate the kitchen (which includes removing a major load-bearing wall on the main floor), change flooring throughout the house, and reconfigure the owner's suite upstairs, including moving walls to expand the ensuite bathroom and closet. We also need to replace windows and doors throughout the whole house. Really soon!

I'm overwhelmed.

Questions:

We can't afford to do all of this at once. I'm tempted to hire a local design firm that is super artistic and whose work I absolutely love to provide us with a plan for the whole thing, but I'm at a loss about how to budget for the entire project if we start with a designer instead of a design-build firm or without talking to an engineer or architect. Do I reach out to an architect? A builder? A design-build firm for an estimate to compare? The design firm provided a very loose quote and I don't have a sense of whether its out of range because I can't tell what percentage of the total project should be dedicated to design.

Thanks for any insight! I am seeing such a range of advice on how to begin this process! I love design from afar and creative use of colour, function and flow is really important to me.

Comments (9)