SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
huango

Help choose our next big project

huango
9 years ago

Please help choose our next big project.

What would you want, if you were looking for a home with these criteria?

Our great 4-bedroom/2full-bath house has a great new kitchen/familyroom/keeping room, thanks to the GW Kitchen forum.

Yet, it lacks:
- masterbathroom
- central air
- finished room above the garage (like a finished basement).

→ If you were to purchase our home, which one(s) would you like completed?
Help rank them in order of priority, and why/reasons.

I know the local realtors may have better insight and I will contact them, but I thought to reach out here also.

We are in the suburbs 45min West of Boston/New England, where many homes do not have central air, unlike homes in CA.
We are on the edge of a very large neighborhood, where the homes range between $650K to $1.4Million.
Our home value is ~$500K. My guess is that half of the comps for my home do not have central air and/or masterbathroom and/or finished basement.

We have an unfinished room above the ATTACHED garage that we would like to finish. Our basement gets moisture and my kids have asthma, so I rather finish the room above the garage than the basement.

We've been in this home for 7years.
We plan to stay for about 10-15 more years.

Pros for finishing room above garage:
- My 2 kids are 10 and 8 right now, so I think they would benefit from the finished room.
- Additional GLA (gross living area) to add to listing (from current 2200sqft to 2600sqft).

I want a Mbath, because I can't imagine the thought of sharing a bathroom with my future teen-daughter.
For the Mbath, we would steal the space from my long 23'x12' bedroom. Whole Bath would be a wet room = 5'x7', with built-ins for closets, leaving bedroom to be 16.5'x12'.

Central air = just good all around.
We would get the Mitsubitshi heat pumps that cools and heat (will be helpful with our oil heating bills).

The reason why it's coming up now is that we need to replace the roof above the garage/familyroom. If we decide to finish the room above the garage, I would like to put in a full-dormer BEFORE putting the new roof.

We've done a lot for our home in 7 short years.
- Redirect and paved our ~100feet long driveway to the slow street (we're on a corner lot. Used to be gravel driveway diving up to the fast street)
- Put in hardwood floor on the 2nd floor (carpeting is bad for my kids' asthma).
- Cut down 25 large trees (our 1.1acre home was so overgrown)
- Put in 28 solar panels (late Spring to Summer, we often MAKE money on the energy we produce)
- Renovated/expanded kitchen
- Put in mudroom (highly sought after in New England)
- Put in radiant floor heating (toasty warm toes in the Winter)

Or is there another place I should post this?

Thank you very much for sharing your input.
Amanda

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths