SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ronbre

the big organizing project 2009 for me

ronbre
15 years ago

Ok ..we live in a home on a crawl space..the only access to the crawl space means moving an outside swing, taking up an outside trap door (and in the winter shoveling snow and ice to get to said door) and then removing board that brace trap door..removing steel door to crawl (standing in mud) and climbing through sideways into said crawl.

NOT COOL..being crippled up and old..i don't get in there..period.

OK so I have been discussing with our son the aspect of using that 2000 square foot plus floor space in the cement floor/wall crawl..he says down there you can't stand up..or even barely sit up..they use a creeper on the floor to roll around (the kind you use under a car) ..says HE can sit on the creeper in spaces between our beams..but that it is hard to get under the beams to the other side..you basically have to lay down and push.

OK..here is the plan.

We are talking about taking out a section of the floor in a closet..if it isn't over beams or wires or pipes..think the closet will work ok...take out a section big enough to get a step stool down into ..4' one..and then be able to climb down into the crawl from a closet trap door.

of course there is framing in a trap door..and making it easily accessible..

don't think that will be much of a problem..so i'm thinking that all of my underbed totes..that are plastic with rollers on them..could be shoved under those low beams off out of the way..and that taller totes with bigger things ..water proof of course but our crawl is basically dry except when we got a leak in our shower drain.

and then i figured we could buy some of those shelf units that come in boxes and slip together with cams..and stuff..and haul them to the crawlspace and erect them in areas along the walls near the trap door..and that we could put things like home canned food (which i do when i have a place to store it) baskets of fruits and vegetables..and also a shelf with cans of paint..i'm a fanatic..i always keep a can of paint to match every room in my house and outside..so i have like a couple dozen full size cans of paint..which are now taking up room in our house so they don't freeze.

we also have camping gear..which could be put in space bags..sucked flat and then put into plastic totes..like sleeping bags..and pillows..also tents and camp stoves..fishing gear..etc.

we have 2040 square feet of unused space under our house and i'm tripping over that stuff in the house and garage..what have i been thinking ?????

has anyone ever done this?? cut through their floor to put a trap into a crawl space..??

also it might be a place to hide if there was a tornado..maybe a few folding chairs and some bottled water down there..couldn't stand up but could sit down i guess.

Comments (18)