SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily_headen

Would you substantively change this kitchen layout?

Emily Headen
3 years ago

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm working on plans to remodel my small and storage-challenged 1920s kitchen. I am ready for feedback. Some things we won't change: The window seating nook is non-negotiable per the husband who cannot imagine his life without it. We can't expand in any direction or eliminate/change doors for functional and flow reasons. My personality will not allow the sink to be anywhere but centered under the window- other people might be fine with it, but it would drive me crazy every singe day.

This is not an exact inch-for-inch plan (though pretty close). Consider this a pretty accurate but sill not refined sketch. For example, there will be a standard 3/4 or 1 inch panel to the right side of the fridge (not 3", which was the only option on the planner I was using), these are not my appliances, and there will be a spacer to the right of the uppers on the west wall. There will be trim all the way to the ceiling and this is probably not my exact height for uppers. Ignore all the weird measurements in the pics- the online planner and it kept throwing meaningless numbers in there.

OVERHEAD PLAN

WEST WALL (Range)- Current 30" range will be moved to this wall. Glass doors on the uppers, thinking about "transom" with solid top to mimic double stacked cabinets. Two 18" base drawer stacks flank the range. Should they be 3 or 4 drawer? No idea. Yes, that is a 33" corner cabinet. It will have a susan with the doors attached so they spin around with the susan. I have gone around and around (no pun intended) on this one, but I think this is the most suitable solution for this space. I plan to keep some smaller appliances in there, maybe some smaller pots. I don't want an asymmetrical because I would rather have two 18" drawer bases flanking the range than one 15" and one 18". It is all about trade offs, right? But if anybody sees something I am missing, I am open to other options.

Kitchen Remodel Planning and Existing Kitchen · More Info

SOUTH WALL (fridge) The upper cabinet to the right of the fridge will have doors on top and a shelf on the bottom- no stile. I plan to put a small microwave and cookbooks there, more like an open shelf than a microwave. I might make it touch deeper than standard- I am doing semi-custom so this is an option. I will adjust the doors on the 18" W pantry cabinet so the top door is the same height as the other top cabinets. One design question- I am almost settled on quartersawn or rift white oak lowers (a contemporary nod to my 1920s bungalow) and light uppers, but what would you do with the pantry cabinet and the cabinet above the fridge? Light or wood? My instincts say light, but I am really not sure about this one.

NORTH WALL (sink) - Windows are both actually two double hungs each, not just one. I was too lazy to do two. Note the sink is centered as it should be ;-) . I already own a 30" Whitehave Koehler sink, (long story) but am willing to sell and buy something else if somebody has a different idea for this area.

3D looking South

3D looking NE, no nook window benches in image (obviously)

Current East Wall (will move range here) Swinging door goes to dining room.

Current South Wall - chimney stack and soffit to be removed. So many things are wrong with this current arrangement. So many... This is a 30" Bluestar range which I recommend with all of my heart. It stays after the remodel, but fridge will be replaced with a 36" wide counter depth (probably Fisher Paykel because I prefer one without an ice maker or water, but undecided). We've already moved the furnace and hot water heater flues out of the chimney stack and it is ready for demo. There is literally nothing in the soffits. So that's good news. Did I mention there isn't enough storage in this kitchen and I am addicted to fizzy water? Yeah.

Current North Sink Wall- dividing wall to nook to be removed. This is the actual new dishwasher (Bosch 500 panel ready) but in a half assed cabinet install because the space is simply not right and the old one crapped out this past summer. Believe it or not, this looks better than what was here before. And no, I didn't do the dishes before taking snaps.

Current Nook- Removing wall "enclosure" but keeping bench seats with drawers

Replace standard door with pocket door to avoid weird door swing when the useless wall is gone. Door goes to back hallway to basement.

Whew! Thanks for participating in my brain dump. I know how awesome you all are at giving advice. I've already changed a lot of things in this design based on the forum discussions, so thanks. I want this little kitchen to be the best it can possible be!

Cheers,

Emily

Comments (9)