SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucas_tx_gw

What would you change in this kitchen layout?

lucas_tx_gw
7 years ago

Hi all,

We're considering purchasing this house. Built in 1979, I don't think it's had much in the way of updates although the appliances have probably been replaced. We're considering updating flooring, cabinets etc. but looking at whether to change layout as well.

We would put a wall mounted hood above the cooktop, plan to do a 30" induction there. Might lose the uppers on that cooktop wall completely, they are very limited as they are. Would probably put M'wave in place of one of the double ovens, there is really only one day a year I dream of a double oven. Willing to lose the trash compactor. I think the current oven is 27" wide, would want 30" which will squash the cooktop a little more that it already is.

It's an all electric house on a slab, so no gas available and wouldn't want to move the plumbing unless some very compelling reason.

The entire kitchen is about 12' deep on the oven wall including the pantry x 17' wide on the sink wall and is open to the living/dining. There is currently an island as seen in the photo and we would put one back in but the current one is semi-circular so I left it off the diagram, I can't figure out from my limited photos where it actually sits but there is plenty of room. My diagram is kind of a best guess and does not include the fact that the wall are 4" thick and that kind of stuff, but gives a general idea.

The one interesting thing is that the wall next to the refrigerator is the wall that is on the left side of the desk area pictured next to the front door.

It would be nice to get the fridge off the end of that run, maybe turn it 90 degrees and some of that space could come from that desk area. The problem is that the desk area is only 4' deep and turning the fridge would require at least 5' of wall space in order to clear the cabs on the long wall and leave 36" width for fridge. We'd have to look at whether having that wall come another foot or more into the living area would be intrusive.

Debating whether to remove the soffit. It's a pretty clean solution to the vaulted ceiling and you wouldn't gain a lot in cabinet height if you did and then you also have to figure out how to work around the beams, so leaving it might make sense.

Comments (11)