SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1

Fragrant flower pics, Jan, 2021, let's see . Smiles & ideas wanted.

I will post a few of mine as soon as I can use my cell phone) Would love to see what you have flowering in the dead of winter during this crises and what smells good for you.

Please share. Maybe one of us might want to desire a fragrant plant we didn't know or think of. I could always add another to my collection)

Mike

Comments (58)

• fragrant2008
    3 years ago

Meyermike that all depends on space plus the fact that when its in a pot i can bring it closer to the house when in its flower

James i have actually been deciding if to buy a Cymbidium tracyanum or not! I have been watching one on ebay. How do you rate the fragrance? i have heard the plant can get pretty big plus the one on ebay seems to have darker flowers not sure if thats just lighting

• James _J
    3 years ago

Fragrant- That is nice looking, never saw one with that coloring before. They do get big, I divide it to keep it manageable. It’s hard to describe the scent but I like it, you can smell it about 3’ away from the plant.

I bought 2 daphne “eternal fragrance “ in the fall. I hope they survive the winter, I’m at the edge of their zone. So far they look good.

That pamianthe looks interesting.

Thanks Mike, I seem to get most of my flowers this time of year which works out well. Makes the winter less gloomy.

• Related Discussions

Please. let's see some of your summered plants here! Pic

Q

Comments (73)
    Hey everyone. Been a while since I've posted here, but I'm loving seeing everyones plants so much that I thought I'd share some of my favorites with everyone as well. My oldest Thanksgiving cactus. It'll be 4 years in January. It doesn't look like much, but I'm thrilled with it 'cause it lost all its segments during the spring and I think it's coming back quite nicely. Opuntia santa-rita. One of my favs. Will be 2 years in April. Jade ovata 'Gollum'. Turned 2 in September. Haworthia fasciata. Really like this one. 1.5 years old. Philodendron scandens. 3.5 years old. Another Phildendron. Not sure of its exact name. Only 6 months old. Dracaena deremensis 'Yellow Stipe'. My mother can't grow these worth a bean, but mine's doing quite well I think. Will be 3 years in May. Dracaena marginata. Turned 4 in September. Ficus elastica 'Black Prince'. 2.5 years old. Hildewinteria aureispina. Will be 3 years in April. Coleus blumei. Looks quite pathetic right now but that's because I just cut it back hard. It always grows back beautifully. I'm proud of this one because Coleus plants are classified as annuals and this one is turning 3 years next month (Decemeber). Hope I didn't post too much. Thanks for sharing everyone and thanks for looking at mine.
    ...See More

2016 December pic time..Please let's see your trees!!

Q

Comments (75)
    I'm loving those blood orange pictures, it's been so long. Great pics everybody! Here is the Flame grapefruit (second crop) The one on the left I think/hope is only changing color and nothing is wrong with it. This year it was really hot and I guess it got some good growth from that. BTW the tree flowered in early July
    ...See More

2017 February Pics let's see them!!

Q

Comments (147)
    This should help. What Laura shared with me.. Laura LaRosa Thank you guys. Cory, I hope all of yours come out soon. I think after this cold snap, we will be good to go. It only got to 47 here, so I did not move anyone inside. I watered thoroughly tonight and will probably fertilize tomorrow or the day after. Mike, I have been alternating between FP and Peters, when I run out of FP, I will just stick with Peters. I have a huge bag of it lol! I do use vinegar but may try to go without it a bit and see what happens. Mike, here is a link for the lights: Philips 433557 23W 100-watt T2 Twister 6500K CFL Light Bulb, 4-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M6SR1JM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_bNrezbCC5RFKH I put them as close as I can without burning the trees even though I had a few scorched leaves on a few. The trees really responded incredibly well to them. I would say the growth was not as perfect as when outdoors, but not too bad - not terribly lanky. I don't know how many you will need. I started with like 15 and little by little added more until I was satisfied they were all getting enough light. The Ikea lights are very basic, but they work and are cheap. Take down was a bit of a pain, but not terrible. I removed the bulbs and stored them in a plastic bin, then just shoved the lamps into a crawlspace. I can tell you that watering them was like a yoga workout...I ended up in a sweat! In my case, I just had so many that I could hardly reach some of them without some serious stretching. You are in good shape though, so you will manage ;-). I also think the lights will help you with any seasonal effects that may bring you down. I sat in my sunroom every morning and night and was very happy in there in spite of almost needing sunglasses! Brian, you are the king of gorgeous trees. I would love it if you would share some of your awesome trees. I could never let mine get that big and overwinter them in my house. Hobby, I hope you can get yours out soon (you too Brian). Oh and Mike, no Alexander does not defoliate that badly every year (never has that badly). I think it was the mites and the treatments for mites that did him in. I was a little worried, but he is bouncing back nicely. Amanda...yes, BRIGHT! I was afraid I would get sunburned in there!
    ...See More

Citrus tree pics December 2020) Please let's see them.

Q

Comments (92)
    Fukushu on flying dragon 4 months old from bud swelling and growth. ------------ Fukushu on flying dragon 3 months old from bud swelling and growth More bud swell and growth starting. Fukushu on Flying Dragon ------------------------------------------------ 4 seed grown Meiwa kumquat trees 4 years old. Seed grown Fukushu kumquat tree 6 years old. In ground New Zealand Lemonade with fruit Steve
    ...See More
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

James, they sure can pick your spirits up, the flowers plus the bright lights))) I too bought to Dapne's last week for my area. I hope they do well. I think I will grow them in pots and then keep them dormant or at least in a cold growing area until spring again, Seems the ones I have just croak after a couple of years for no reason at all. nothing like the fragrance from those flowers I tell you)

• Bill M.
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Here's a pic of my Brassavola Nodosa. She has to be over thirty years old . She's been in the same pot (plastic) for well over 25 years! I put her outside in full sun after May when the warmer weather hits, then bring he back inside in September/November. She gets fed orchid fertilizer during the summer months. When she blooms, as she's doing now, the entire house fills with her fragrance in the early evening. There's a reason she's called the Queen of the Night. The pot is so old it's extremely fragile and the slightest touch breaks the plastic. I may have to repot her this year because even the hanger has deteriorated to the point where I don't trust it any longer.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bill that is gorgeous gorgeous!!! What the heck kind of pot and what kind of mix if there is any left. Nice job !! Do you grow it inside or outside. In full sun ?

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well ! Didn’t see what you wrote. So excited about the picture LOL

• Bill M.
    3 years ago

Mike, not too sure there is any mix left in the pot as everything is so old. The pot is a plastic one, which has so much ultraviolet damage it's barely holding together. Each molecule is straining to hold on to it's neighbor! I'm afraid it will finally need repotting this year, but am so afraid of doing it. I'm sure it's just a mass of roots. In fact, the pot is so damaged and now porous, that the roots have encircled it outside and are holding fast!

It gets fed with miracle grow orchid food, or epiphytes delight mixed have of the recommended dosage. It can handle full sun at my latitude, so I hang it in a low branch of a tree. It gets morning light then some direct sun around 12 oclock, then a little dappled sun till around 3 where it gets full sun again. The leaves have never shown any adverse affects. Occasionally I get a yellow one or two, but that's because of age I suspect. I am constantly cleaning mealys off it during the winter until I can get it outside in the spring for a good spraying with neem oil. This morning I must have taken several dozens of mealys from it with alcohol on a q-tip. I hate those little guys.

I bought her in one of those little packages lowes used to sell, with a little 1.5" pot and a plant in a net wrapper. They don't do that any longer unfortunately. When she blooms, as you can see, it's worth it. I love the fragrance.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bill that’s crazy. How resilient they can be. I actually saw some at Lowe’s the other day. I have a couple but they don’t do much. I should stick mine outside too. It’s looks so perfect. Here I thought your were only crazy about Hoya. Ha. Nice work

• sabut
    3 years ago

Fragrant2008, thanks for the pictures. Where did you get your Daphne? I tried to find it about 3 years ago when it was just introduced to the US but no retail/online nurseries had it at the time. How would you say it compares to the other Daphne Odoras?

• fragrant2008
    3 years ago
    1. Hi sabut sadley i am from UK so i can not really help you out with buying of the plant sorry. As for how it compares to other daphnes i have grown 5 different variaties and the only one that beats it on fragrance is Daphne bholua Jacqueline Postill but thats not really suprising as its a cross between Daphne odora and Daphne Bholua. But its a stronger grower with a longer flowering period
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Fragrant, thanks to you I was able to find the 'Perfume Princes' thank God. I can't wait to try this one. I also now want the latest one you mentioned.lol

MIke

• Bill M.
    3 years ago

Mike, when I loved on Long Island I had a greenhouse that I designed and build entirely by myself. It was detached from my house, approx 50' away. I installed heating (propane) and cooling (fans) along with buried water and electrical cables. I grew close to 100 different species of orchids along with some staghorn ferns, philodendrons, dracinias and a smattering of other plants. I loved going in there in the winter, trudging through the snow and opening the door only to be greeted by the warm humid air and a wonderful fragrance of all the plants in bloom.

Unfortunately now that I live in PA, I no longer have those things. My entire collection consists of hoyas (which I'm just beginning to collect) two staghorn ferns, dracinias, philodendrons and some other misc plants. Basically whatever I can carry inside in the fall and outside in the summer. Only a couple of orchids remain sadly.

I love plants. They bring me peace and comfort.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

James , I could stop admiring that cymbidium! The detail.
    Here a a few of mine in bloom now.

Regular house temps sunny window very fragrant Jasmine

VERY VERY fragrant oncidiums, like bubble gum, easy in home grower

.Oncidium ornithorrhychium

Dendrobium kingianum, very very fragrant , but does need a cool dry bright place to send buds. Worth it though)

Fragrant Phal violacea, need warms temps I grow in the home.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Few more

Twinkle fantasy oncidium. easy grower sunny window sill

another type of twinkle fragrant, easy grower in house sunny window sill

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Few more
    Zygo, heavy substance, strongly fragrant, constant moist mix open and airy, grown issued in sunny window

Same plant as above different view,

Very fragrant Hoya Lacunosa, need porous mix and grows near any window warm temps, dry out between wwaterings

Gieko Marie Zygo, powerful fragrance, heavy substance, easy grower inside, mix must be prous and constantly moist

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Few more
    Fragrant Camelia, coolish temps in fall produce buds, then I bring this inside, Loves watering often and good mix, just bright light.. Enjoys cool temps in winter and I keep this on my cold porch. Does NOT like very warm temps in winter.

Lemon Meyer flowers, easy, grown anywhere in good light

Lemon Meyer

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Few more

Neo falcata

Yellow Christmas cactus, not fragrant but just for smiles.

Very fragrant Zygo

Jasmine 'Grand Duke Supreme'

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Few more, a very fragrant Zygo

Phal violacea

Micehlia Alb

• Bill M.
    3 years ago

Mike, your orchids are beautiful. You must use supplemental lighting yes? I know some of them have a very high light requirement, which up north here we are sadly lacking.

• party_music50
    3 years ago

Nice pics, everyone!

MeyerMike, are all of those yours? and as they are now?! They're beautiful! Do you have a greenhouse or are you growing in normal household conditions in Mass.? Looks like some might be near windows, some under lights, ... Plants like these could hook me if they can be grown in normal household conditions in z5 (NY)! The only local orchid grower I've known had two heated greenhouses -- definitely an expensive custom-built setup! eta: just re-read and see they are in bloom now. Wow -- they must be gorgeous in person!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Bill, yes, I use lights. Just your regular long tubes from Lowes and a few spot lights. What a HUGE difference as a very good member says. I figured if I am going to grow the best plants I like, in order to get the flowering, I would invest a little and never take up smoking or be a drunk. lol. I sacrificed many bad vices for a few lights and a higher electric bill. Thank you. Very fragrant I will tell you, especially the jasmine and the zygo's. I do have a Phal that is starting to spike that is the most fragrant I have ever had. I will shoot pics when it starts to open)

Party, hi) Added a few commentys to the pics to help

Yes, all those plants are is bloom as we speak except the Michelia alba. That was an extra bonus in case anyone want to know what it was or try a hand at one. SO fragrant!

Appreciate the kind comments. I do have a greenhouse but all these plants are grown under house conditions. I do keep a humidifier going in my bright room upstairs at all times humidity runs at about 50 to 70% with fans. That's the room I sleep in. The others are grown in a 4 season unheated porch that only gets heat from opening a door to my kitchen but the temps in there run 65 or higher every day.

The only ones that need very warm temps at least 70 or higher are the Phalanopsis bellina and Phalaenopis violacea. If temps are lower than that one should use a heat matt to keep the roots very warm.

So to make a long story short, you can grow any one of these in normal house conditions in very bright window and with added lights even better. I belong to the Orchid Society in Ma. and most members there bring award winning orchids grown in normal house conditions even without a humidifier. Some use humidity trays to help) You should try a few. Your home would smell so nice when in bloom or if you just color or pretty, then we won't even go there. Ha

• party_music50
    3 years ago

I only got my first phal in spring of 2018... since it rebloomed for me in 2019, I got another... that second phal is just loading up with buds now. They sucker you in. Like vices. lol!

I grow all kinds of houseplants -- house is packed with them -- but my real thing is African Violets. They aren't scented, but I've got this blooming now... it's a sport I grew from a sport I grew. :)

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Party, ok lol. Don't feel so bad. I am getting into them to, the variegated ones . Ha. Just got one the other day. They don't need a fragrance to enjoy, that's for sure. Beautiful.

I am also getting into unique begonia leaves and color blooms. It never ends. lol You should see the house plants I have. Maybe I can share a cutting or two once spring arrives for you) Nice job and nice plants. Makes one smile for sure))))

Don't forget to show a pic of that Phal once it blooms, please.

• party_music50
    3 years ago

I will definitely share a pic -- I hope it's as pretty as I remember. It was a grocery store purchase... I remember it having a light yellow flower with pink center, but we shall see. :)

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked party_music50
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nice. Nice !!

• nanzjade z5 MA
    3 years ago

Hello Mike, wow, you’ve done it once again! Beautiful array of blooms, so many different plant types blooming during gloomy winter time. I bet they are wonderful fragrant too, I can just imagine you walking into a room to grab something lol and can’t help but enjoy their scent :) Those Twinkles are so darn cute. The Gieko Marie Zygo is super duper pretty!! I miss my Lacunosa blooming like crazy, hopefully some remains come Spring. Again, lots a gorgeous flowers buddy!! Stay well.

• westoh Z6
    3 years ago

Mike,

I'm impressed for someone who says they struggle with some orchids. Great looking pics, that Geiko really caught my eye.

Good growing!

Bob

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked westoh Z6
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bob. coming from you that means a lot. Thanks. Looks like certain ones I am ok with. By the way, I lost almost every orchid in my greenhouse since the heat went out during my sleep and the remote thermometer lost WIFI. It as 28 degrees when I got up Saturday night for about 2 hours in there. Seems many leaves got toasted but the roots never froze. As it warms up in there, I can all the damage to the leaves coming on. SO DEPRESSING. I am so OCD that I can't stand to see marred leaves like this.

The leaves are turning brown and mushy on many(

• Bill M.
    3 years ago

Mike - I am so sorry to hear what happened to you. That is a devastating feeling, coming out and seeing all those destroyed leaves. When I had my greenhouse on long island, I had a similar thing happen when one propane tank ran out expectantly. I ended up putting in two tanks, an automatic switchover valve and electric backup.

I can tell you thant a lot of the plants are fairly resistant. While the leaves will turn to mush, the roots will recover. Not all unfortunately, but a lot. It's just going to take a long time. I truly know how you feel.

In the meantime keep what is remaining as warm and humid (the humidity is paramount) as possible. You should also start looking to back fill some of the obvious damaged plants, the ones you know won't make it. Also, look into a backup heat source too. I know I'm telling you the obvious, and you're already doing those things, but it helps to stay active in there right now, both for yourself and for the plants.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on how things work out for you. Hopefully a great majority of them will recover.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bill, I appreciate that. It's a horrible feeling to go in there and see the damage more and more. It doesn't show up right away on many plants then, boom, they look like they have been burnt then mush. Makes me sick. I invest so much time in making them look almost flawless just to see this. And. I am not one to throw away injured anything but to nurse them back. You know what that is like for sure then.

Yes, I did. Now I have an extension into that greenhouse along with the built one inside incase one goes out the other will stay on at least. And the company is sending me two replacements for the defective thermometer so that I get alerted next time like I am suppose to. Boy was I upset with them.

I will keep you posted and in fact I will snap a few photos to see if anyone thinks they are worth saving. Ugh, I hate winter.

On the happier side, I picked up a new Hoya with peduncles already on it not large at all. I love it. Lets' see if the transition from the nursery into my warm plant room with lights and a skylight will keep it happy to hold on to the possible bloooms.3Thanks again my friend)

Funny, you are the only to notice I had been through hell with that. Thank you

• Bill M.
    3 years ago

Mike, I noticed because I've walked the same path. It is so upsetting, to say the least. You'll be going in there numerous times and looking at them and feeling so sad that they didn't make it. Like you, I never throw away plants either. If there's a glimmer of a single cell still green, I will try my best to bring it back to health.

I can tell you, that amidst all that sadness, you are going to start to feel good again when you begin to see a sprout or two start poking up and growing. That will bring you a little happiness.

I had an Angraecum sesquipedale orchid that I grew from a tiny shoot. It had been with me for maybe 8 years and faithfully bloomed every year once it reached maturity. Well, it was lost and it's been over 30 years but I still remember that plant. I had a Vanda, Sensi Blue, that I purchased at the NY flower show in the world trade center many years ago - now both the plant and the World Trade Centers are gone (I lived in NY at the time, did iron work on the trade center when it was going up and watched it come down years later. I lost a close friend in one of the towers).

So, while you're feeling sad now - use that anger to improve the systems in the GH. Do some relayout of the plants etc. and start to locate replacements for those that are irretrievably lost. Make it better than it was before, then sit back and enjoy your work and the peace the plants bring us.

One of my greatest joys, and my wife thought I was absolutely bonkers, was to go out, in the middle of winter, 2-3 feet of snow on the ground, dig the door open and go inside the GH, take off my coat, sit down with some music playing and just do nothing. Just relax, enjoy the smells, the humidity and the freshness of the plants. I miss that aspect of my life. So, since you still have a GH, you can do it for me.

Now get to work and start recovering.

Best of luck to you always....

Bill M....

• party_music50
    3 years ago

My 2nd phal is finally reblooming! The colors aren't quite as I remember, but this time I'll have a photo as reference. :)

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    3 years ago

Mike, I can feel your pain. I haven't been on Houzz for a while so I missed your tragedy. I can't begin to imagine what you are going through. Loss of even one plant makes one sad, especially if it is a sudden demise, more so in an accident, rather than a slow steady decline. I recently dropped and broken one cane of a nobile orchid that was begginning to grow buds/spikes and I was distressed about it for a while. Of course the cane carries on as if nothing has happened and three of the four spikes now have flower buds almost ready to open. :) I sealed the broken base with hot glue and put in damp moss. Anhyhow, I am hoping with you that all of them survive and get back to closer to their normal selves by the end of summer. I know it will probably be a couple of years, if not more to recover and not for all but one can hope. Keep us updated on what all survived and what losses are you grieving. Meanwhile, concentrate on the ones you have indoors in great health, especially the ones blooming. I can see if you have quite a lot to enjoy and celebrate while your greenhouse plants recover. Good luck.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    3 years ago

I don't have much fragrance around right now except some mathiola Incana, hyacinth (third year of these bulbs blooming in a pot) and a random snapdragon bloom. Jasmine grandiflora/officinale also sends out a random bloom off and on. I envy everyone here with such fantastic collection of fragrant plants. I am just getting into the fragrant and orchid growing craze/addiction. So many plants on my wish list...

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    3 years ago

Oh, and here's the broken stalk with buds - inspiring in its resilience.

• westoh Z6
    3 years ago

Mike,

Haven't been on in a while, really sorry to hear about your problems. I have a feeling a lot of us long time growers have experienced similar fates at one point. I've told the story of when I went from 300+ orchids to 7 over a 2-3 month period because of my health issues and the plants had some type of bacterial/fungal issue at the same time. Carried them out by the trash bag full over several weekends.

I plan on dividing a few plants (catts, 'chillums, epis) this spring/summer, I usually compost what I don't use because I've never virus tested, but if you are interested in a few divisions let me know.

Bob

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bob. Really appreciate it my friend. I can’t believe you lost that many. Must of been so upset. Glad to see you’ve collected again and doing better too. Glad your health is ok. That’s most important. Sort of the reason I get doubles of everything. Many are in my warm room inside Incase I loose any outside. Your kind words are appreciated! Thanks for the offer. Probably take you up on that ))

Getgoing, same with you. Thanks. Seems you and I have many of the same plants. That’s insane. So Beautiful. You are doing a great job. Go for it. The more orchids the merrier)))

Bill. That must of been so upsetting. You almost form an attachment to them like people or pets and when they go like that it’s awful. It stinks seeing beautiful pics of once what had to know they are gone. I hate loosing plants for no reason at all or because of my fault. Bummer for sure. Your comments mean a lot and thank you it them. Good points made and I will apply.
    Party , now I have been looking for a yellow one like that. Very nice ! I wish there was fragrant. I’d get that yesterday !! Beautiful

• party_music50
    3 years ago

My yellow phal came from a local Aldi! Look for them in spring -- they seem to always sell them before/for Mother's Day.

• michaelspokane
    3 years ago

Michelia x alba is entering another bloom phase

And outside, is Daphne bholua is beginning. Insanely fragrant!
    Sarcococca confusa, hardy to 0F or so
    This one is Sarcococca hookeriana 'Fragrant Mountain'. One of the hardiest of the sarcococcas
    Wintersweet bloomed right through the vortex. I got down to 11F.
    So did the snowdrops, even without snow cover

The wafting power of all of these is incredible, even on a 40F day!

• Bill M.
    3 years ago

Michael - The blooms look fantastic. I can't wait till warmer weather rolls around here.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Michael , just like me , everything you grow just about smells wonderful!! Good growing. By the way , how did the Hawaiian plants do ?
    My Michelia was exposed to 28 degrees a couple Saturday’s ago and lost all its leaves. But thank god it’s coming back with a vengeance ! Thank god. I even see a bud. I never thought snow drops had a fragrance. I’ll have to plant some now. Look at your plants starting up already. I can see buds on mine in the snow ! Especially the witch hazel !

Bill, you are kind. Good to see you. Mike grows the most fragrant stuff. !)

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oops , Michael. Is that Daphne grown in a pot ? I’ve struggled to keep many alive when once doing so well. They just poop out for no apparent reason.

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    3 years ago

I have only two Sa-Nook dendrobiums in bloom yet, but I have buds on three phals, a maxilaria densa, a maxilaria tenuifolia, an epidendrum, and a prosthechea radiata.

of the dendrobiums, the lighter purple (first photo) is very, very slightly fragrant, with a vague, unidentifiable floral scent.

3 years ago

Bill M., any tips on getting a Brassavola nodosa to become more bushy? I have the plant below. I’d really like to encourage more directions of growth. I bought it about a month ago. It is of blooming age. Please excuse my rusty shelf.

• Bill M.
    3 years ago

Ariel - Patience my friend. My Brassa took years to fill out the pot, to the point here I am finally going to try and destroy the plastic pot it's in come spring, and plant all the pieces into a larger hanging pot. They send out runners profusely, so once it starts to acclimate to it's new home, you'll begin to see the runners appear. It won't take long to fill everything in.

One thing I did notice was it can stand, at least here in eastern PA, as much sunlight as I can give it. I hang it outside on a tree branch that gets a lot of sun, somewhat dappled, but a lot of sun throughout the day. I also water it just about every day. Since the leaves are somewhat succulent, it does store water, but our summers are worse than our winters (if that's even possible) in that it's extremely hot and dry for long periods of time, hence the constant watering.

Give yours time and I'd say by the fall you should have several more shoots popping up.

Best of luck with it and to you as well.

3 years ago

I do have one new growth starting to emerge. It is at the edge of the pot, but I think maybe I’ll keep it in there in hopes of spurring growth elsewhere, if that makes any sense. It is outside, but given that I’m in coastal Mexico around sea level, I’m reluctant to give it full sun. Maybe if I make the transition very gradual. Right now it gets bright indirect light all day and about an hour of direct afternoon sun.

• Bill M.
    3 years ago

Ariel, I agree with you. Your latitude is certainly different than mine, consequently your sun strength is significantly different and much stronger. Use caution when placing it in your sun light. I think you're on the right track in what you're doing.

That being said, since it's 19 degrees here this morning with wind gusts up to 25 mph, I think I'm going to need to take a trip down to your location just to make sure you're doing every ting right. Can't be too careful now can we?

Enjoy those plants and your weather. Stay well my friend.

• Bill M.
    3 years ago

Ariel - I can send you a snowman if you'd like. It'll be in a water bottle - just freeze and some assembly required!

supposed to be a lot warmer tomorrow so maybe this stuff will finally begin to melt. I used to love snow as a kid - not any longer!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bill, you gave me a good laugh. Lol
    By the way. Thanks for the advice. I have one not doing much too. Think I’ll try what you said too )