Floof! Name that dog!

amylou321

MY DOG that is. We are getting a puppy in March! He was born on January 6th and I am so excited. We have not had a exclusively indoor dog since my dear Sammy died in 2017. There is a specific breed that SO has wanted for awhile, and my sister had some friends who breed them. So when they announced that a litter was forthcoming, I pounced. He is a Bull Mastiff and will be around 130-150 pounds when fully grown. He is brindle colored with a tiny white dot on his nose. We are going back and forth with names. Here is the last conversation we had:

Him: Leo

Me: Leo is a cat name.

Him: I am a Leo.

Me: My sister has a cat named Leo, and I cannot have any pet with a duplicate name. Anyway, the puppy is a Capricorn, like ME.

Him: Ok, we'll name him Corn.

Me: We are not naming him Corn!

Him: What about Cornbread?

Me:

Him: What?!?!?!?

Me: Cornbread? Really?

Him: YOU named MUFFIN!!!!!

Me: Well, Muffin is a good name. Its dainty and feminine, like her.

Him: You're talking about the dog that just spent an hour bathing yesterday because she was rolling around in the mud right?

Me: Spa day.

Him: Uh-huh. Well Google some names then. We have plenty of time to decide anyway.

Me: OK

Him: I still like Cornbread.

Me: I'll make you a pan of it. I do not want to be yelling "COOOOOOOORNBREEEEEEAD" out the door when I want him back inside.

Him: Whatever.

Me: WHATEVER!!!!

So, I am asking for suggestions. What would YOU name this big ole behemoth if he was yours?

SaveComment99Like2
Comments (99)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amylou321

Here's the last picture i got of him, if it helps....

6 Likes Save    
morz8

Tank. He's going to be a big boy.

I've always admired the breed, found them lovely dogs. Long time ago (ok, very long time ago) I had a childrens book in which the subject/hero was a mastiff.

Some people walking by stopped to visit last summer with their mastiff with them. I got wet dog kisses in my driveway. Be prepared for slobber and drool, they do that ;0)

Save     Thanked by amylou321
Olychick

So cute!

Axel?

Percy?

Ladydi Zone 7A NW BC Canada

Thor, a good strong name to grow into.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Zeus, Buster, Bruiser, Tuffy, Sarge, Ranger, Rocky, Hunter, Tink, Rusty, Brute, Brutus, Maverick, Scorpio, Ramsey, Diesel, Diego, Ranger (from the Janet Evanovich books) . That's all I can think of right now.

1 Like Save     Thanked by amylou321
amylou321

I have a Buster raven!

my blue nose pitty!

4 Likes Save    
wildchild2x2

One of my favorite breeds. Goliath is one nice name. I had a dear friend who had an English Mastiff with that name. Sweet dog. Ajax is another good name for a big boy. In Greek mythology (The Iliad) Ajax was a strong and courageous warrior right behind Achilles in strength. Known as Ajax the Great. I prefer short, one or two syllable names for most large dogs. You will be using their name a lot for the first year or so.

Bullmastiffs can be strong willed and they are very smart, thinking dogs, so not the easiest to train. Our Bullmastiff mix was a female. We named her Belle. For the first year of her life I am sure she believed she was very noble since she heard the words No Belle countless times every day. She was my sweet, watchful guardian.

Just saw the comment about rolling in the mud. Well Ajax is "stronger than dirt" too.

But really you might want to wait till he is with you for a bit. Dogs have a knack for naming themselves.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
bragu_DSM 5

tiny

2 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
Elizabeth

Peter ( as in PeterBuilt trucks ) 😊

bpath

No help with names, but enjoy your new baby! I've only known one bull mastiff, so sweet. I can't remember his name,, but he was my cousin's. I was visiting one day, we were sitting in the couch, and the dog was wagging its tail. It caught an ornament on the Christmas tree, the ornament flew across the room and shattered on the far wall. Amazing!

salonva

I like

Floyd

Stanley

Norman

and, tiny

arkansas girl

Hulk

Lucille

Such a cute pup!! And Bull Mastiffs are wonderful dogs!

Radar

Lucifer

Mack

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Storm

Smokey

Bullwinkle

Annie Deighnaugh

I know another dog named Buster...he's a bichon.

I was going to suggest Tiny...

I always wanted to name a pet Izzy. Izzy in? Izzy out? Izzy sleeping? Izzy eating?

Winston?

aok27502

I always liked people names for big dogs. Frank, Walter, Fred, George.

We used to see a guy at the park with a mastiff like this. He was 160 pounds and looked like a lion. And he had one speed, and one speed only: mosey. I can't remember his name.

nickel_kg

So happy for your new addition :-) Names ... Indy (could be short for Indivisible, which is a strong, comforting word).

eld6161

He looks like a Hank!

And going off on Morz8 Tank, his cute nickname can be

Hank the Tank!

2 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
adellabedella_usa

Charlie Blue

nicole___

What a cutie pie!

Atlas, Jonas, Kona, Elijah, Blue, Smoke, Cinder, Keys(He has the key to your heart), Pearl(as in black Pearl), Hunter, Block, Savvy, Mongo....

bpath

Arkansas Girl mentioned Hulk, but what about Dave, since David Banner turned into the Hulk?

Bullwinkle is fun, and he could be Wink or Winkie for short!

ci_lantro

Our big boy Lab (DS's dog) was named Mac, as in Mac Tools. (DS is a gearhead.). I always associated it with Mack, as in Mack trucks. Mostly he was called 'Mack-y' or 'Macky-san'. Sweetest dog ever. Of all the dogs we've had, Mack-y enveloped my heart the most-est.

janey_alabama

I like Leo, it is my husband's name.

Jasdip

I get a kick out of dogs that are named people names. We have a "Bruce" in my neighbourhood and I know a "Barry." They make me laugh. I love calling Hi Bruce, when I see him out walking.

Ninapearl

congrats on your new soon-to-be addition! how about "magnus"? it's "large" in latin, meaning great, loud, big, large, high, mighty. although i do think cornbread is a really cute name!!

whistle_b

Sully

jupidupi

Tonka, like the toy truck. Or Bojack, after my favorite show, Bojack Horseman.

maire_cate

My girlfriend had mastiffs, bull mastiffs and Neapolitan mastiffs. They were such nice dogs, gentle and rather lazy and spent most of their time looking for sunspots on the floor to sleep on. Her only complaint was the drool and there were times when she'd use an old credit card to scrape it off the kitchen cabinets. And she joked that for a short haired dog they spent a lot of time at the groomers to keep their nails trimmed.

They were named:

Churchill

Spenser

Otis

Maximilian

Willis

Chaucer

and the lone female - Cleopatra

Lucille

Off topic: I think you should have a puppy shower. You are the best decorator, I think it would be a blast! And also create a new scent for your side hustle wax melts: 'puppy breath'.

bpath

Leo can be a dog's name! The enormous golden retriever down the block is Leo and it suits him. Same for the handsome golden cat who lived across the street from him!

Cornbread is fun. Reminds me of when my son was in The King and I in middle school. He played the prince, Chulalonkorn. The kids nicknamed him "Chili corn dog". Ooh, Chili would be a good name! Wasn't that John Travolta in Get Shorty?

Mystical Manns

Congratulations! on your new baby, Amy. I would love mastiffs, but that drool ... can't handle it! LOL Same with Newfoundlands. LOVE the dogs, but because of the drool I could never have one.

I've always wanted to name something ... Oliver. Said in your best Eva Gardner voice mimicking her role in Green Acres, a sitcom from the 60s. AH-lee-ver!!

Or ... Willis. From another sitcom, Diff'rent Strokes. What's up, Willis!

terilyn

I am partial to the names Moose, Max and Buster.

Ded tired

I’m never particularly clever when it comes to pet names. There was a notorious graffiti “artist” ( for lack of a better term) in Philadelphia. For many years, everywhere you went it said Cornbread all over the walls. I can’t think of cornbread without thinking of that.

How about Mack, like Mack Truck.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornbread_(graffiti_artist)

rob333 (zone 7a)

I always pick Irish names for my pets (Keegan, Maggie, Murphy, and now Cadhla (that I've had the audacity to Americanize to Chyla)). Since I'm partial to them, here are my Irish male name suggestions with their meanings

Liam (strong-willed warrior and protector)

Fergal (brave, courageous and valorous)

Lorcan (slient or fierce)

Donal (ruler of the world)

Aidan (little firey one)

Judy Good

Hulk

Hank

Rambo

Luca

Slim

Bruno

Baby- LOL

hallngarden

Mojo, I would be onboard with Cornbread also. Know you all are excited.

Rusty

With all due respect, I think 'Cornbread' would be cute. But if he were mine, with my habit of giving nicknames, he would probably end up being called 'Corny-boy', so maybe not.. . . . .

Nor do I like people names for pets. I've always wanted to name a dog 'Rowdy', but have never had one it seemed to fit. A few of the dogs I have had over the years were 'Kippy', 'Scampy', 'Skippy', 'Happy', 'Sunshine', 'Snoopy', 'Rusty', and 'Smoky'. Dogs we've had at the shop were 'Lucky', 'Blackie', 'Brownie', and 'Rex', among others. 'Rex' has a royal, kingly sound to it, I think. Shop dogs were named by my husband, who loved dogs as much as I do, but had no imagination what so ever when it came to naming them.

I do hope that you will wait until you've had him home for a few days, at least, before permanently assigning him a name, Most pets will pick their own name, as I'm sure you already know.

Congratulations on the new family member!

Rusty

patriciae_gw

You could call him Spot. Very traditional and appropriate in the circumstances.

A power name

Robert the Bruce

sheilajoyce_gw

My son and his roommate just bought a bullmastiff puppy. I don't think they know about the drool problems. Ugh. He is called Dozer.

summersrhythm_z6a

Call him The Boss! :-) And he will be.

Raye Smith

Tiny or kitty, make peoples/friends eyes pop when you call "here kitty, kitty" and a giant dog responds.

Kathsgrdn

My dad's name was Leo and so is one of my exchange students this year.

Had a dog when I was a kid, big black lab, German Shepherd, coyote mix with a coat the same color as your puppy. I named him Bruce because he looked like a bruise or that is what I remember saying at the time. Best dog ever.

I like the name Sampson for big dogs too.

I also like people names for pets, when I was a teenager I had hamsters named Herbie, Harry and Harvey.

It may be better to get him and see what he should be named after you get to know him.

ci_lantro

How about 'Shaq' in honor of Mr. O'neal?

katlan

My whole post disappeared! Anyhow, for a big dog I like strong names not cutsie names. Here are names that we and other family members have named their dogs.

Jack

Ben

Yukon

Max

Cole

Ivanhoe

Khaine

Jacobi

Jake

Tyson

Bear (could go with Grizzly. Griz?)

Congrats on the new pup, so exciting. What a lucky pup!

(edited to clarify those are all separate names.)

eld6161

Katlan’s idea or how about just Tyson?

skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Mr. Henderson

pekemom

Caesar

lisaam

Last night while watching YoYo Ma play I decided that would be my next dog name. I've long admired his music but his personality is so warm. A friend told me that when YoYo was an undergrad he would bring his cello out into the quad to play. He seems like a joyful generous man. I don't think he'd mind having a dog named after him.

hounds_x_two

Hercules

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)

Joe.

HighDesert Z 7a

Our mastiff is named Ben. Cute pup!

kathyg_in_mi

Indiana Bones - Burmese Mountain dog

8 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
kadefol

Brutus. Heathcliff. Rocco. But personally, I like to get to know the furry before naming them. Once they show their personality it's a lot easier and we usually come up with a name that just "fits".

nickel_kg

Amy, have you ever had a dog named Pink? He might turn out tough, like 'the boy named Sue', lol.

bpath

Kathy, Burmese or Bernese? I love his Indiana Bones name!

mdln

LC for LeoCornbread

pudgeder

I like Cornbread. Goes well with Muffin.

yeonassky

Hoss. For the character on Bonanza. Though I do like Cornbread too. Corny for short. Sorry.

foodonastump

My shepherd mutt was Leo. There’s a bulldogish type dog down the street named Leo. And a little dog of some sort right across from them named Leo. Cornbread reminds me of my daughter coming up with names when she was four. Oatmeal and Headband were two of her suggestions.

Why exclusively indoor?? How does that work???

amylou321

What do you mean how does it work? He is going to live inside with us and go outside as needed. Our other dogs are primarily outside all the time unless it's cold or really hot and I force them to come inside.

Save    
foodonastump

Ok good. I thought by ”exclusively” you meant ”exclusively” and I was fairly horrified.

kathyg_in_mi

bpath, It's probably Bernese, called Indy for short.

OutsidePlaying

A lot of cute names here. Many of the ones I like or have used from past dogs have already been mentioned but I’ll name a few we or our kids have had. Our last big chocolate lab was Sarge. DD has an even bigger lab, Hank (also known as Hank the Tank, Hankster, or Bubba).

We had a Brittany years ago named Dixie. So when we bred her, I decided all the puppies would be named until adopted at least. So I chose some southern names for most of them...Scarlett, Rhett, General Lee, Harper Lee, Rebel, etc. But there was the large one of the bunch that had to be Moose, he was big, fluffy and so laid back. Most of our dogs have been female so those names won’t fit your new pup.

nicole___

I know a Bernese Mtn dog named Hardison. Big and hardy....☺

chisue

Will he need a name for an AKC registration as well as a call name? You might get a clue from names on his papers.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)

Not a help for you, but best name I ever saw for a dog was our yellow lab's sire back in the 70s-Jumping Jack Splash.

amylou321

Chisue, I dont think so. They are registered but they didn't say anything about naming him anything for his papers. Me and SO have been watching old dog shows for inspiration. Nothing yet. I do think I need to have him home for a while first,but I like to have ideas.

Save    
chloebud

Good idea to have him home for awhile. I always liked the name Cooper even though it's become more common for people and dogs.

chisue

Hmm...we registered our Westie's 'show name', Mackey's Perfect Gentleman, to honor his breeder, who was new to the business and had all four of her first litter well trained before releasing them. We called him Pip.

I was thinking about Bear for your boy, but he may have some attitude or behavior that fits with a name. (I wouldn't name him for a puppy behavior that he will soon outgrow.)

Annie Deighnaugh

I was watching a TV program and watching the credits scroll at the end and saw the name Titus...seems perfect to me for a mastiff.

GF has a granddog aussie shepherd named cooper.

Lucille

In a few days he will be one month old. Could we please have an updated puppy picture?

localeater

How about Cornelius, it’s cornbread-like, and one of the characters in the Land of Makebelieve on Mr Rogers was called Cornelius.

I also like Erasmus, Zeke, Louie, Chewbacca

crazybrunette64

I have a friend who named her dog Bruster (or Brewster). I forget what kind he is but he's a big boy for sure.

amylou321

Lucille,sure! My sister, whose friend is the breeder sends me them from time to time. When and if she sends me another one, I will surely post it.

1 Like Save    
amylou321

You must be psychic Lucille! I just had this sent to me. 2 pounds 5 oz.

8 Likes Save    
Lucille

Oh so cute!!! So huggable and you know he's got that sweet puppy breath!!!

joann_fl

the first name that came to me is "Butch"

hallngarden

Ohhhh, so cute.

sprtphntc7a

i like a name with 2 syllables

Our dog now is Leo!

other suggestions:

Rocky

Rocco

Boomer

Enzo

Cosmo

Hudson

maybe something associated with your State, nationality, dog's origin, constellations, stars, greek mythology...

grapefruit1_ar

I like people names, My choice would be Steve.

amylou321

Ha! My oldest brother is named Steve.

1 Like Save    
sprtphntc7a

amylou321: did u decide on a name for your puppy yet???!!!

Annie Deighnaugh

Oh I know! Atticus!

amylou321

Not yet!

Latest update pic sent today!

8 Likes Save    
Lucille

Awwww! Cute!!! Is he a brindle?

amylou321

Yup.

Save    
nicole___

Getting BIG......ya just wanna kiss his little ears! ♥

jemdandy

Rutherford.

That may be too many syllables. A dog.s name should have no more than 2 syllables - makes it easier for them to learn and respond to their name.

Annie Deighnaugh

Still remember way back when friends named their dog Ralph...as that's what he did in the car on the way home.

Other friends were big baseball fans and named their dog Jeeters.

P amelaIamela

Manny is adorable. Everyone needs a good mechanic in their life.

sushipup1

I'm a fan on English Bulldogs (not your breed, I know), who always seem to need a dignified name. Try some of these on for size.

Watson

Walter

Winston

Truman

Howard

Dwight

chisue

Love the photo! He's so *brown* and sleek as a seal. Looks like he wants to be put down...and right now. Gosh, the size of those paws! He'll leave tracks big as a bear.

yeonassky

Mocha

Sealand

Seal

Rufus

Ruffy

yeonassky

Marron is brown in Spanish.

Lucille

Gosh, the size of those paws!

I don't know where Amylou plans for him to sleep but he looks like he will take up half of a king size bed when he grows up.

OutsidePlaying

Getting cuter by the day! I know you can’t wait.

amylou321

Update pic! 4 pounds 6 oz today.

3 Likes Save    
morz8

You must be getting anxious for him to come home. What is it, about three more weeks?

amylou321

Yup. 3 weeks.

Save