SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
normawaterbug

Need help with kitchen layout

normawaterbug
3 years ago

Hello. We've worked with an architect to come up with plans for renovating our kitchen/dining/living area, and adding on an addition. I'm happy with most aspects, but am feeling uneasy about a couple things. I'd welcome some input on the following:

- I've worked in a somewhat cramped u-shaped layout for 10 years, and like having just 2 steps between stove, sink, and fridge:

The new layout will take down the wall between the kitchen and living room, open up views to the deck and backyard, and add an island for some storage and a gathering place:

However, I can't seem to get over the niggling feeling that a couple parts of this design aren't so good.

- The refrigerator is 10-12 feet from the stove and sink. I know that's outside the 6' range for the traditional work triangle, and although it sounds like there are new ways of looking at this, I wonder if I'm going to hate this. Has anyone hated or not minded a layout like this?

I don't think I want a cooktop or sink in the island. The only other placement I can think of would be to put the refrigerator to the left of the counter and sink, protruding into the area labeled "window seat", but I wonder if that would look right because there will be a beam dividing those spaces visually.

- I feel the views to the back are being cut off by the refrigerator and pantry. One design had the dining room table in that corner (to the right of the French doors), and I liked it, but the island was turned the other way, meaning people sitting at it wouldn't be looking out the back. However, maybe that's the better option. The dining room table, with window seat on one end, could be under a window looking out on to the deck, and perhaps the work area and refrigerator could be side-by-side in the area currently labeled window seat.

Below is a SketchUp image of an slightly older version of the above:

I'd welcome any input/suggestions.

Thank you!

Norma

Comments (4)