SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_87309945

Need help with kitchen layout and fridge placement

TG
2 years ago

I am redoing a kitchen. Currently, the kitchen is just the 3 counters you see. The entire eat-in area and pantry are an addition we are doing by enclosing a carport adjacent to the kitchen.

The attached plans is what we have now but I am thinking of two changes and curious your thoughts.

1. moving the fridge two feet towards the pantry opening. This would give an additional 2 feet of counter/cabinet space on that front wall, and also create sort of a "nook" in the walk in pantry (behind the fridge essentially) for a full size freezer. Otherwise, the freezer just floats somewhere in the pantry. (See photo marked up with this proposed change)

2. moving the existing wall that separates kitchen from LR (this is the gray wall behind the counter with the oven in it) 2 feet into the LR. With those 2 feet that we gain, we would give 1 foot to the eat-in area (the eat in area is current 9-4 from edge of cabinet wall (that far side of kitchen is a full wall of 1 ft deep cabinets , floor to ceiling) to the back of the island, so it would make the space 10-4), and with the other extra foot, we would add a foot to the island width, making it 4 feet wide rather than 3 so that we can get drawers on both sides.

My main concern with making both of these changes is that the fridge will be quite far from the "work space" of the kitchen. In the current picture, its in a perfect place, in between work space and eating space, but if we make the proposed changes, we are essentially moving it 3 feet away from island (moving fridge 2 feet in one direction, and moving island 1 foot in the other direciton). is this too far?

Also, the walkway between the island and opposite parallel counter is going to be 42 inches. Is this wide enough?

Any other comments on the layout would be appreciated! If you can think of a more efficient layout, given the space, I would be happy to hear.

Comments (2)