SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eastside1

Please help with kitchen layout - no good place for Fridge

eastside1
12 years ago

I've been getting a lot of valuable information on this site. I really appreciate everyone's contribution.

DH and I are planning a kitchen remodel. We are a family of 4, two kids ages 8 and 9. On average we have friends over for dinner once or twice a month, usually from 2 to 10 people. Holidays we may have bigger number for family or friends get together. We use our dining room for daily dinner, all three meals in weekends, and all get-togethers. We only go out average once a week.

I am the only cook in the family. Once a while DH may make grilled cheese, scrambled egg type of simple stuff. I like to cook, but by no means gourmet cook. I don't do much baking, but do use oven once or twice a week - for things like beef roast, roast potato, baked fish, chicken etc..

The kitchen is 13X22 with one short side to dining room, one long side to family/study area(the partial wall has to stay), another long side with a big window and a sliding door to the side yard. So we don't have much wall space to work with! We are struggling with the placement of fridge and ovens - ideally a single oven and a speed oven w/microwave function. If we have to, a single oven and a microwave oven work too.

The side that's open to the dining room currently has a small opening. We plan to make it bigger and that's the only structure change we plan to do. The bigger opening allows space to extend our dining table out when needed. So we can't have a peninsula between kitchen and dining room.

Here are three options we came up with. Sorry that I couldn't make the images smaller, nor could I get the rotate to work.

Option 1: the fridge sits right against the window frame. And oven/microwave will be in the island ( bending down...). But it's a "clean" and simple layout.

Option 2: Fridge is far from the sink. Maybe adding a prep sink will help - hopefully it doesn't cost too much.

Option 3: Variation of Option 2.

Thank you! Advise and comments are appreciated!

Comments (5)